The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
nrb's70gmc

Replacing Upper Control Arm Studs

Is it as simple as beating them out? or do you need to remove the frame/crossmember brace the studs go though?
truck is a 70 gmc C25.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: Replacing Upper Control Arm Studs

I think they just pop out from the back once the upper control arm is off.I believe they splined at the head .
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 AM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Depending on what you have if you have a 3/4 ton 1 ton A frame and wanting to use it for a 1/2 you can't.For one the 3/4 ton and 1 ton modals I've looked.You can't find them Don't buy the silver ones.They are cheap.You need the black fine thread one.The studs are on the A frame that the engine bolts to.You have to drop the whole A frame to get to the bolts.But one problem i'm seen You can't interchange them the 3/4 or 1 ton is bigger then the 1/2 ton modals bigger hole.If your trying to swap 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton Use CCP spindles and ream out the holes to use the 3/4 ton or 1 ton Ball joints
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
nrb's70gmc

This is just a simple swap on a c20 take old ones out and replace with new. the studs are 9"16ths

This might sound stupid but i took a look under frontend and i could not see a obvious answer to my question.

all i can see is that the studs go though that L shaped bracket that is rivited to the crossmember (above coil spring pocket)
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)

Last edited by nrb's70gmc; 01-31-2018 at 02:51 PM.
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Ya your right But you have to drop the front end to get to the back.There is no access to them the whole front frame where the engine bolts to has to be token out.I had a friend of mine ask me the same ? His was lose He told me he really did not want to pull his motor and trans and take the front end off to just change 1 bolt if its striped that's another reason why your doing all that DO NOT PUT SILVER bolts in use the harden black heat treated bolts.

So a good welding buddy went over there put 2 small welds on ether side of the bolt on his Problem fixed.Been driving it for the past 4 years the alignment went off with out a problem.

He told me 4 year ago he thinks He has a blown head gasket .So he's looking to pull motor and trans.I told him if he doing that he should go in and replace the bolts.Ya i started something he had to go buy another truck cus he did a major tear down on his truck to fix cancer and Have the fame powered coated.Its now back together.new bolts new A arms upper and lower Ya he over did it.spent over 19,000.I looked at it new LS 6.0 4L80E removed the gas tank put it along side the bed both sides and had the french doors put in Blends really well with the truck looks factory.

Now he only uses it to go fishing in and camping and car shows.before he drove it every where not a care in the world.he wants another truck as a beater He misses the feel of what a real truck feels when he out in bumper to bumper traffic.Plus he likes them Big heavy bumpers
Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
Keystone_Hate

On my frame there are two holes in the frame channel inboard of each of these studs. I imagine it would be as easy as whacking em out whacking new ones in.
Keystone_Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

what i do is go to a place that has a front end off like these guys that sell parts.Then you see what your getting your self in to.Plus the guy will help you on how to go about removing them and installing them.

Do it right the first time or spend the rest of the month fixing your mistake.

Its like wood cut once right then your done If you cut to short you have to go buy another board.Cut to long now your cutting 2-3 more times.Do it right the first time then its right remember to lube up your brass brake lines tighten first then loosen to brake the rust