The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
ChadW

sbc Motor Mount Help/Ideas

alright guys...I need to figure out what i am going to do for motor mounts. I will attach a few pics. My concern is getting something that will connect to both the crossmember and the frame rails. Is there anyone else on here that has a Thorbros crossmember in a 60-66 c10? I picked this project up like this and it does not have the mounts in it and did not know what the orignal owners vision was on it....any ideas???

ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
61K10

Re: sbc Motor Mount Help/Ideas

What eng is going in it?

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
ChadW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
What eng is going in it?
small block 327
Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
ChadW

I was going to go with somethign like this, but people are telling me i need to tie the motor mount into the frame as well or the frame could flex and crack. Thoughts? The frame is boxed right there so it would be hard pressed to flex..

Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Chevy Fleetside

top left had corner. These would probably look nice in there. http://truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_126.html I have them in my truck hooked up to a BB. Might not be the right length for you set up though
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
dmulally

It won't crack. I would just mock it up in place keeping the following considerations in mind:

Radiator and fan spacing
Sump clearance
Shifter location/gearbox mount
Header clearance to clutch
pinion angle from the yoke
HEI (if you go that way) clearance to the firewall

Once all of those are sweet then just weld your mounts in as close as possible. Be it frame or crossmember I wouldn't worry about joining them both. Especially if you want to drop your front end for whatever reason, you'll have to grind off your mounts.

Hope that makes sense.
dmulally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Doesn't Thorbeck Bros make a engine mount for a small block to go with their front suspension? Which ever way you go, since I see you already have a trans crossmember, you will need to be sure your trans output shaft is at the correct angle. Also I wouldn't worry about whether the engine mounts are tied into the frame also. What you have there is plenty strong.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
ChadW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Doesn't Thorbeck Bros make a engine mount for a small block to go with their front suspension? Which ever way you go, since I see you already have a trans crossmember, you will need to be sure your trans output shaft is at the correct angle. Also I wouldn't worry about whether the engine mounts are tied into the frame also. What you have there is plenty strong.
I guess they did when they were making the front crossmembers but since they dont make them anymore (crossmembers) they disc. the mounts as well...

I have this kit http://www.chassisunlimited.com/prod...mount-kit.html which i believe will work, but an not opposed to something else either if someone has a simpler idea..
Old 03-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry, I did not realize that they no longer make their front suspension. I don't keep up with that sort of thing. That kit you linked to should work as long as you have the ability to weld. Like I said, just be sure you get the engine and trans at the proper angle to match your pinion angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadW View Post
I guess they did when they were making the front crossmembers but since they dont make them anymore (crossmembers) they disc. the mounts as well...

I have this kit http://www.chassisunlimited.com/prod...mount-kit.html which i believe will work, but an not opposed to something else either if someone has a simpler idea..
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:07 AM   #10
rvrfoot

You can buy weld in ones.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote