The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
msg

66 pillar drip rail - replace?

Ive seen some threads where the pillar drip rail was removed and not replaced. I had removed mine during the sandblasting phase and I dont think I kept them. Ill look around the garage and see, but in the meantime I was curious on thoughts of keeping it off and if that would cause trouble with water leaking in..hopefully this truck will be garage kept. At a minimum not driven in the rain if I can help it and covered with a truck cover. At least for a while after I ever finish the restore.

Also, if keeping it on is best then where to find replacements? And on my 63 Chevy II the pillar drip rail is chrome and is fastened on vs welded. Wondered if it might be better to drill some holes and fasten it on with some sealant added to keep the rust situation from getting that bad again.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: 66 pillar drip rail - replace?

I drilled a couple of holes in my 61 so it would drain. I thought I saw some on other trucks that were done by the factory. That im not sure about.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
urmyboyblue

Never done that but I have a 66 C30 that I am working on that has rot in the driver side pillar drip channel. I don't see a problem with leaving it off unless there is a misalignment with the door and pillar that it is hiding. If the door sticks out too much (i.e. beyond the pillar), it could cause wind noise and catch rain as you drive. I plan on making a new pair since mine will be a driver, not a show truck. I would think that if you used stainless steel to make them and used small screws to hold them on, sealing the gap during install, it would work fine. I would use a nut insert in the cab and countersink the screw in the rail. That sounds like a plan.

By the way, never seen anyone remove them for sandblasting. That is pretty extreme!
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've had mine off the truck since I redid it the first time. I ground back the nubs where it was so it would clean up and paint better. With a good door seal, I've never had a leaking issue or pooling issue with my truck. It doesn't sit outside often, but its spent damp overnights on roadtrips, and drive in pretty insane rain without a problem.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote