The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
beanious

Lightbulb Advice Request: Best Timing Chain SBC 350 ?

Hello experts in the community, recently I have been experiencing issues with my SBC (GM crate 350 4-bolt w/10,000 miles). I have erratic timing at idle, lower than normal vacuum (18") and low cylinder compression (110psi) evenly on all cylinders. I did a performed a chain stretch test and saw 12 degrees of slack, way too much! I have babied this motor since I bought it new, heck it has never seen temps over 180 Deg. and has had meticulous oil changes. It looks like I'm in the market for a new timing chain...

So the question arises, what is a good quality, long lasting timing chain. I do not want to take the chance of one breaking or having it stretch so early on into its life ever again. I have the CompCams 3 piece timing cover (PN 310), so space will not be an issue; also my budget for the chain is 200.00. I'm just looking for a quality piece that will last me as long as possible. Part numbers are welcomed, thank you in advance for your expert input.

Bryan B.

Last edited by beanious; 04-02-2018 at 07:10 PM.
beanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
EVRLET

Re: Best Timing Chain SBC 350

I’d recommend a double roller. I have a Rollmaster billet double roller in my 331 sbc Nova gasser. After about 60 1/4 mile passes, no issues at all. I’m sure Summit or Jegs has decent Cloyes, Edelbrock, or even some house brands. They all hold up well.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
beanious

Sounds like some good recommendations, double roller, billet. Hopefully I can get some 100,000 mi. recommendations from some members out there...

I figure it's a good topic to throw out during the Easters break...
Old 04-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
jocko

Cloyes is one of the best, but from the link here, you can see all major cam manufacturers offer them also - all the way down to $29.99. I don't think billet gears are necessary for a street driven, stock truck - the main reason to get away from a "stock" chain is the neoprene teeth. So, really, any metal chain with steel/iron sprockets is an upgrade, and one that will last. Having said that, there IS a slight pecking order inside the double roller world also. Some double rollers are just basic double rollers (i.e. two rows) and then there are "true" rollers - they have links that are more like a bicycle chain that rotate also. I'd opt for a true roller personally, but, again - ANY all metal setup is an improvement over stock. It's also nice if the Torrington bearing is included (I think that's what it's called..) Personally, I think the extra slots for adv/ret are over-rated. If you're running a stock setup, that additional cost isn't really necessary - but many many of the chains out there have the three keyways. Doesn't hurt anything to have it, but not necessarily worth paying extra for if you're pretty stock. If you plan to degree the cam, it's a handy option depending on what you discover when doing so.

Which GM crate did you start with? I'd be surprised if it came with a neoprene chain unless is was the 190/260/290 Gen I version they sell. Those may have neoprene, not sure. How many miles have you put on this chain? 12 deg is huge...

Summit Selection:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ll-block-gen-I

I like this basic double roller True roller
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...make/chevrolet

Here's a fancy one if money is burning a hole in your pocket - includes hex-adjust and billet sprockets and torrington bearing. (Hex adjust is a small insert on the dowel pin (or something like that) that allows fine tuning of the cam. Not really necessary, but handy depending on your tuning comfort level.

As you can see, prices vary widely depending on cool factor and neat little gee whiz things. Basic works just fine. The base for me is the 2nd link above. But I sure like the last one too...

Last edited by jocko; 04-02-2018 at 07:40 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I like this basic double roller True roller
My recommendation as well. You just can't go wrong with a Cloyes true roller.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
1972RedNeck

Gear drive? Longevity and the sound...
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
beanious

Jocko, thanks for the advice. I appreciate the information on true double roller vs standard double roller, I will be sure to to get the true!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
beanious

I had at one time considered a gear drive setup. However it seems like either they last forever or grenade your engine, that plus the constant noise of even the quiet drives pushed me away from them. I am always listening for vibrations, noises and problems and the whine would probably grate get on my nerves. That being said, when set-up properly 100K is no problem.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanious View Post
I had at one time considered a gear drive setup. However it seems like either they last forever or grenade your engine, that plus the constant noise of even the quiet drives pushed me away from them. I am always listening for vibrations, noises and problems and the whine would probably grate get on my nerves. That being said, when set-up properly 100K is no problem.
Gear drives were awesome technology in thier day. Dead accurate timing but the send enormous amount or harmonic vibration through your valve train. Not such a good idea. And yes even quiet ones are fairly noisy.

The next leap in tech was the Jesel belt drive and they are fantastic. Honestly, a decent double roller is best for street car based on reliability and streetability. Hex adjust is great for a guy that races and spends alot of time tuning for different conditions. For a DD, double roller is more than adequate.

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
beanious

So, I think I may have settled on the timing chain...

CompCams CCA-7100

Billet hardened upper sprocket
Billet hardened lower sprocket
Pre-stretched heat treated double roller timing chain /w large pins
Torrington roller thrust bearing included
Adjustable in 2 Deg. incr. max 8 Deg.
No issues with fitment with stock cover
5 Stars on Summitracing site
$94.99

Name:  CCA-7100_HE_xl.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  30.9 KB

I've always had good luck with CompCams what do you guys think?
?
?
?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
Gear drive? Longevity and the sound...
I've had one, I was 17 and wanted it to sound like I'd somehow stuffed a blower under the hood of a 57 bel air, because, well, I couldn't afford a blower and saved a LONG time just for the $200 Pete Jackson gear drive. Never again... I got all the attention I wanted, but from the wrong people (i.e. the po po). Then again, might have had nothing to do with the whine under the hood, probably much more related to 17 y/o driving habits. But the whine did NOT help.

Yes, zero stretch, but not really necessary.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #12
7 Devils

Solid component. I think it will be great. Now the question is if you will take advantage of it and go through the process of degreeing the cam?��

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #13
Getter-Done

For a SBC a double roller or gear drive is a good choice.
I have run both . Gear drive is my choice.
As long as there is no nylon or single chain your OK
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Unless it's a drag truck... a full on billet timing set is a waste of money.

A plain' ol' Cloyes double roller at $30 bucks will be just fine. It'll last well over 100,000 miles.

I have never babied an engine in any rig. From break-in to rebuild and all time in between... run the snot out of them. SBC's are made to take a beating from the factory.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote