The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
weider1717

got heads back from machine shop (not pleased) advice

got my heads back off my 87 and noticed it had mismatched exhaust valves. One head had all matching exhaust valves but was different from the originals I brought the heads in with.

other had has one non matching exhaust valve.

Engine never been into has 68k miles and I looked at the valves and heads in detail before I dropped them off so I asked him after I unwrapped them and noticed it I called and ask was there a problem with the valves? he said no I explained why I was asking he said well those came in it and they had been worked over before, I didn't argue and said hmmm ok.

its not worth arguing I can't prove it but I know he is simply a half ass and put valves back in it that fit but not that came out of it just some from the hot tank that was clean and.. fit not pleased but what do you do you, yanno..

question is being OCDish I know it doesn't matter but that bothers me and I want new valves is there any you recommend? or just tell him put a matching set of exhaust valves in it and should I do the intake ones as well??
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: got heads back from machine shop (not pleased) advice

If you are not satisfied with the work, take them back and tell them you want it right and they should make it right. If not, then you can do whatever you can to get them to make it right if it is reputable shop.

Good luck.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
GSP7

Good shops put all new valves in, etc

Im not sure what you had done

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 AM   #4
hans2

If valves don't need to be replaced, they aren't. No harm in reusing your valves, I've done it. But when I do, I number the valves with a sharpie to make certain they get back on the same seats, even if I grind them both. Its about the guides and stem wear pattern. I think of it like swapping used lifters around on your cam. Should never do it.

If the heads needed new valve guides, you should have new valves. If the guides were fine, and the stems were in spec, you can reuse them - again, as long as they are in the same location they came from.

I, personally, would never accept heads back with random used valves in them.

For new valves, stock rebuilder units are fine for most applications in these trucks. You really don't need anything fancy add these rpm's.

Good luck-
hans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
weider1717

I understand guys and if it was the used original valves that I brought them in with I would be ok with it but that is not the case.

So, just take them back and ask for all new valves? I am not up on this like I wish I was if I do ask for all new valves will he have to put new guides in too?

I removed the heads due to the original gasket getting corroded to the point of allowing coolant into the block around the water jackets. The truck was also starting to puff smoke on start up due to old valve seals.

I simply asked for the heads to be checked out for cracks etc while I had them off and to do a "valve job" they came back looking like new but with someone elses old used valves in them..
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Sounds like a typical crap machine shop making excuses. Some will even try and give you different castings back.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote