The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
choctawchevyclassics

6-lug to 5-lug swap on a 67 C10

This may be a repeat of questions already on the site. If someone has a link to a forum already addressing this, please let me know. Would like input for a donor vehicle I can find that will provide direct front K-member and rear end for a 6 to 5-lug swap. Easy with no major mods is what I am looking for. I want front disc and rear drum with 5-lug. Plan on looking for a donor pickup for the parts. What am I looking for? I figured 71-72 would work, but I have heard newer years in the C10's would also work. I already have power brakes and figured by utilizing equalizer valve on donor vehicle I could also retain the dual cylinder power brake unit already on the truck. And yes it is a Chevrolet with rear coil spring set up. What do you say? Thanks in advance...
Attached Images

Last edited by choctawchevyclassics; 04-10-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: more info
choctawchevyclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Overdriven

Re: 6-lug to 5-lug swap on a 67 C10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

The above link should help out. 71-72 crossmember is an obvious choice but 73-87 crossmembers are also a direct bolt in. Whatever you choose pay attention to the inner and outer tie rod ends as they were different lengths through the years, and ball joints are year specific to the spindle used, this is where the link above will help out.

I’m in the same boat with a 67 and wanting to go 5 lug as well, mostly for easy rotor replacement. Local parts stores aren’t going to have 6 lug rotors and disc conversion kits don’t tell you what components they use so I’m going to assemble my own so I know what the components are. I’m just going to swap to disc spindles, use the appropriate balljoints and tie rods. For the rear new axles for my current rear end and new drums. I don’t trust the manual master and lines in the truck so all that is going and being converted to power brakes anyway.

Last edited by Overdriven; 04-10-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
demian5

Why not just do a disc brake conversion and some new axles? Unless your truck is hammered with rust, I don't see the point to swapping the entire front cross member just for the disc brakes when a simple swap kit or new ball joints (which I imagine you would replace anyways) to put the 71/72 spindles on, would do.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I agree with demian. I swapped everything from a 1972 C15 over to a 1969 C10 frame. Upper and Lower Control Arms (when actually you only need the lowers), spindles, rotors, calipers and the steering linkage. Tie rods are a different size so I snagged all the steering stuff too. Then put new 1972 Ball joints abd new upper and lower control arm shafts in. All made by Moog.

For the rear end I just bought 5 lug conversion axles made by Moser and slid them in to the 1969 housing.

I left the front 1969 crossmember in place and never touched it.

One thing to note. Front drum brake rigs have steel brake lines that terminate at the rear of the crossmsmber before going in to the flexible rubber lines. Front Disc brake rigs have steel brake lines that terminate at the front of the crossmsmber before going in to the flexible rubber lines. A 67-70 drum brake front will not have the tabs on the crossmember for the steel brake lines to mate to the flexible rubber lines. So you'll need to weld on new tabs and run new front steel and rubber brake lines. Or you'll be forced to run a rediculously long flexible rubber hose to the caliper. You can see how I did it in my "Rebuild of Creeping Death" build thread. Link is in my signature line.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post

One thing to note. Front drum brake rigs have steel brake lines that terminate at the rear of the crossmsmber before going in to the flexible rubber lines. Front Disc brake rigs have steel brake lines that terminate at the front of the crossmsmber before going in to the flexible rubber lines. A 67-70 drum brake front will not have the tabs on the crossmember for the steel brake lines to mate to the flexible rubber lines. So you'll need to weld on new tabs and run new front steel and rubber brake lines. Or you'll be forced to run a rediculously long flexible rubber hose to the caliper. You can see how I did it in my "Rebuild of Creeping Death" build thread. Link is in my signature line.

Gary
Yes the conversion kit I am putting together says to use mid-80s caprice lines so they fit, but the calipers are at the rear of the wheel, so the line and bracket at the rear would make sense.

Ill post up some pics when Im done.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

71-72 trucks have the caliper towards the rear as well. But the brake lines come from the front. The soft line attaches towards the front of the caliper.

I used stock 1972 brake lines and calipers for my build. So I ran the lines exaclty how they came from the factory in 1972.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
bbrriiaann1973

I have a 70 c10 and I had the same problem you have now. I went the route that your thinking with donor parts from another newer truck.

After finding all of the parts and installing them what I realized was that for the time, effort, and money it wasn't worth it. Because at the end of the day you still had old 40 year old parts on your truck, and for a few bucks more you could buy complete conversion kits for both the front and back ends!

I end up replacing all of the major components a few years later that I installed!

The conversion kits provide better handling and braking that a newer truck just can't offer.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Rich69shortfleet

I've never heard of doing frame alterations to do disc brake/5 lug conversion. When I put discs and converted to 5-lugs on my 69 I swapped on the front suspension and steering from a 71 and used a 71 rear axle with 5-lug axles.

What, exactly, is different about the drum brake frames and disc brake frames and why would making such a frame change be required or desired?
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
choctawchevyclassics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet View Post
I've never heard of doing frame alterations to do disc brake/5 lug conversion. When I put discs and converted to 5-lugs on my 69 I swapped on the front suspension and steering from a 71 and used a 71 rear axle with 5-lug axles.

What, exactly, is different about the drum brake frames and disc brake frames and why would making such a frame change be required or desired?
Maybe I missed something? Who said anything about frame changes? I am looking for a K-member and rear end assembly to change to Disc Brake front end and drum brake rear end, both with 5-lug. Shouldn't have to make any changes to the frame.

I already bought a complete K-member this past week for $50. I would say a pretty good investment. I have owned several of these pickups and never had a single problem with the factory disc brakes or the front suspension and steering. Spend thousands on the aftermarket stuff if you want. I am building a daily driver and that's what it will be for a fraction of aftermarket...
Old 04-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
jocko

If you got a factory 5 lug disk crossmember setup with all the goodies for $50, you got a nice deal. And deals like this, and bone stock factory replacement components, are some of the main reasons the crossmember swap is more popular than an aftermarket swap. All comes down to whether one can find a suitable crossmember donor. Aftermarket is a fine way to go too, but can end up being more pricey, especially if one is finding crossmembers for $50. Good on ya!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
Rich69shortfleet

Isn't the k-member you speak of part of the frame? More specifically then, what is the difference between a drum k-member and a disc k-member?

Last edited by Rich69shortfleet; 04-16-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
bbrriiaann1973

There is no difference between the two! You can mount a drum and disc brake setup on both of them! If you like old factory brake and suspension setups then go right ahead, I like to improve my trucks so I can drive them how ever I want not just baby them!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
choctawchevyclassics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet View Post
Isn't the k-member you speak of part of the frame? More specifically then, what is the difference between a drum k-member and a disc k-member?
I have a 67 K-member with drum brakes. The replacement K-member I bought is already set up with everything for the disc brakes. K-members are pretty much an unbolt the old and bolt up the new. Other than changing out brake lines and hooking up the steering.
Attached Images