The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
hotwls13

Is my tank supposed to have straps??

Coming into this gas tank swap half finished from previous owner. This tank is metal, painted black. It has the brackets on the sides with 2 bolts for each side. It also has the grooves underneath for straps but no straps installed. From the looks of the tank and the fact the bed was just sitting on frame/tank when I got the truck it wouldn’t surprise me if it has never had a full tank and is supposed to have straps.

I’m also planning to move the tank as far rearward as possible so I can still use the bolt hole of the crossmember that I still have to notch. The fill hole is painfully close to the crossmember bolt hole as well as the frame. I did use a socket and bend the fill tube up and to the right slightly so I can possibly get a fuel hose on it when the time comes.

I have also read where guys completely remove the crossmember. I’d rather not do that but if I can’t get the fill neck clear I may not have a choice.
Attached Images

hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Is my tank supposed to have straps??

Ideally, yes
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
SeanB242

Same tank I have. The straps that came with it wouldn’t work so I made my own. Probably why previous owner didn’t install them. Since the bed is off I would add some just for piece of mind. And would look a lot better than that big piece of angle bolted on there.
SeanB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
hotwls13

I have to move the tank forward so I will need to take bolts out and redrill holes. Wouldn’t I just leave the brackets in and add straps?? As far as the look of the brackets, only people that would see them would have to crawl under truck.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
SeanB242

Sorry I forgot to mention that part. I just drilled through the frame rails and bolted with big washers. Plus I added straps.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
hotwls13

Can you guys confirm by looking at the tank that it’s a blazer tank? What years would this tank be out of? If it needs straps I’ll add them but that’s one more thing I have to buy and install before moving onto the next thing. I only want to add them if it isn’t safe NOT to have them.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
SeanB242

It looks just like mine which is out of 67-72 blazer. In the picture you can see the straps that came with it.
https://www.classicmuscle.com/67-72-...IaAtc-EALw_wcB
Old 04-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
hotwls13

Ok thanks. Any idea how long the straps are?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:31 AM   #9
SeanB242

I don’t remember on the ones I made. I can get a measurement tomorrow
Old 04-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
rsavage

Unless the fill neck has been cut off, it is probably an aftermarket Blazer tank. Original Blazer tanks had a longer angled fill neck that cleared a body mount. If it were mine, I would definitely put some straps on it. 21 gallons of gas weighs about 132 lbs and the tanks were not made to hang just on those flanges.
2021 Durango RT 5.7

Last edited by rsavage; 04-13-2018 at 06:43 AM.
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

It's a Blazer tank. Install it how they were installed in a Blazer. The brackets aren't necessary. That was the P.O.'s solution that wasn't a good idea. I see metal fatigue on down the road with that arrangement.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
hotwls13

OK, thanks everyone. Now to figure out how long and what straps to get. I'm thinking local auto parts stores should be able to get me the exact fit for a 67-72 blazer??

Probably not the exact ones I need, but they are the right price. Length will be determining factor obviously.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...63696_0_0_7690
Old 04-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
SeanB242

Those state they are 25 inches long. Not long enough. I had 2 pieces of flat steel I bought at Tractor Supply. Take some measurements, and put in a vice to place bends on each end and drill some holes, add paint. Done. Here’s a pic. No idea why it went upside down. Ha you’ll need about 4ft for each strap if you do like I did.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeanB242; 04-13-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #14
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB242 View Post
Those state they are 25 inches long. Not long enough. I had 2 pieces of flat steel I bought at Tractor Supply. Take some measurements, and put in a vice to place bends on each end and drill some holes, add paint. Done. Here’s a pic. No idea why it went upside down. Ha you’ll need about 4ft for each strap if you do like I did.
OK great, thanks for that info. I like the idea of just grabbing some flat metal from home depot or whatever (actually a metal yard would be cheaper). Those straps look pretty thick. I'm gonna go with something thinner closer to what came in the kit.

So, you just used 4 bolts (mine is currently installed that way also. I've heard it's pretty much impossible to get a wrench on the tops of those bolts once the bed is installed (should you ever need to drop the tank). That's why the kit comes with J-bolts. Not even sure where I would get J bolts.

This whole tank thing is burning too many brain cells trying to figure out the details. Haha. I'm gonna cut out the 2" off the crossmember tonight, just so I feel like I'm moving forward. And from the looks of things, I may need to cut more of the crossmember than I originally planned. Fill neck pretty much occupies the bolt space for that crossmember. I'm hoping to keep enough metal on the crossmember so that at least half of the drivers side mounting spot sits on the frame.

Also, one more thing of note. I plan to install a hitch (the style that will hopefully have a receiver behind a flip up license plate in a sport bumper). Anything I should do or prepare for now while I have the bed off?? The hitch looks like a bolt in and can be done with bed on.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
SeanB242

We installed it with the bed on. You can get to the bolts inside the frame rail if you need to. Or pay a kid with small hands to do it. Question though. Why are you cutting the cross member? As far as the hitch I have never installed one on these trucks so I can’t answer that.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #16
hotwls13

Quote:
We installed it with the bed on. You can get to the bolts inside the frame rail if you need to. Or pay a kid with small hands to do it. Question though. Why are you cutting the cross member? As far as the hitch I have never installed one on these trucks so I can’t answer that.
Specifically the BED crossmember. These tanks sit above the frame rails when properly installed. Need to cutout approx 2" of the bed crossmember as otherwise it sits directly on the tank. I have the bed off now, but this is what it looked like before removing bed:
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
hotwls13

Quote:
Is yours a wood or steel bed? I've seen wood bed guys just move the crossmember front or back completely. Most just do the 2" notch. And I have heard of some remove the crossmember altogether. I'm hoping to leave enough on the drivers side mounting area so some of the crossmember sits on the frame. Though I doubt that spot will have a bed bolt in it cause that's right where the fill tube is.

My bed is shot anyway so I'm not worried about the bed itself. I will be looking for a quality bed in the future to swap in (once this thing is driving and I have more $$).
Old 04-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #18
SeanB242

Ah. I see. Ours is a steel bed and didn’t have that issue. I think our tank is back further. It’s at the back of the frame.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #19
hotwls13

Quote:
Ah. I see. Ours is a steel bed and didn’t have that issue. I think our tank is back further. It’s at the back of the frame.
Yep, the standard location is forward of yours (where spare tire previously went i think). One of the frame small crossmembers (i think the one that held spare) are removed and then the tank fits inbetween 2 rear frame crossmembers.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #20
hotwls13

Quote:
looks like u are missing a main crossmember for your frame. Right in the middle of where your tank is. Is yours a long or shortbed?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #21
SeanB242

Long bed. That makes since. My short bed frame has a crossmember at the back. I never noticed before.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
hotwls13

Quote:
Long bed. That makes since. My short bed frame has a crossmember at the back. I never noticed before.
Mine is a longbed also and HAS the back crossmember. Yours was removed. It went where the 3 holes are on the side of your frame (kinda looks like 2 eyes and mouth). You can see the holes in my pic where my frame crossmember is.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #23
SeanB242

Well that Would explain some of my confusion. Lol. I didn’t realize I was missing one.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #24
hotwls13

Got the bulk of the crossmember out last night. From the looks of it, I’m gonna need to take out another 4-6” of the drivers side of the bed crossmember. I’m going to only take the rear half of it off though. That way the crossmember will still have something meeting the frame on that side. Kinda hard to explain but I need space for the filler neck hose that will be occupying that space.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #25
hotwls13

Pics
Attached Images