The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Zach Jaynes

A couple of random questions

Hi guys, I just acquired a '69 C10 project truck that I'm about to begin working on and I'm very green here so I'm trying to educate myself a little at a time and get a plan together. My first question is, I know the '67 trucks didn't have the marker lights in the front fender and bedside. I prefer the cleaner look of not having the marker lights. So, are 67 fenders and bed sides a direct replacement/fit for a '69 truck? I am looking at most likely having to replace both fenders and bedsides anyway. Next question. My truck is not a factory a/c truck, but I will most definitely be converting to a/c. Would I be better off going with the under dash vent system, or should I just go ahead and replace the dash panel and go with the dash vented system? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Zach
Zach Jaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: A couple of random questions

I love random questions. Here are some random answers: Yes, sort of, it's up to what you prefer. The bedsides are exactly the same other than marker lights. To do the fenders, they swap directly but you need to do more. You need a 67/68 core support, grille, and hood. The fenders are longer, the sloped hood extends to that longer line, and the grille is required with them. The headlights sit a bit wider than '68-up. Some have removed and relocated the headlamp mounting and retained the new core support. On 69-72 grilles, the shorter fenders have recesses for the grille.

You "can" cut the vent locations out if you are careful . To me it is worth the effort to retain factory vent locations, but that's up to you. Either way is cooler than no a/c at all... get it?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Zach Jaynes

Thank you for the info. I might just stick with the 69 fenders and have my body man to fill the holes, and go ahead and buy 67 bedsides. "cooler than no a/c at all". I see what you did there! I think I will go that route so that the vents will be in the dash. Thanks again. I hope I'm up for this undertaking that I'm getting into.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
ZEKE68

You can just cut the holes in your dash for the factory style AC vents.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Welcome! Take your time, and ask a lot of questions. Almost everybody here is willing to help you, and I'm not up to speed on anyone who wouldn't.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #6
darrellyates

I cut all the holes in my dash to look like factory A/C. Even made sure to get the factory outlets. Used an old one from a junkyard for a pattern to cut the holes. Turned out pretty good...
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Welcome Zack.
If you are considering installing the factory air setup be aware there is a difference in firewall openings too. Here is a pic.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #8
Zach Jaynes

FANTASTIC looking interior Darrell! Boog, thanks for the info on the firewall holes. That is VERY good to know. So to eliminate that issue, I would have to purchase the a/c kit that is for the non a/c cab, in which case I wouldn't be able to install the dash vents, correct?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Jaynes View Post
FANTASTIC looking interior Darrell! Boog, thanks for the info on the firewall holes. That is VERY good to know. So to eliminate that issue, I would have to purchase the a/c kit that is for the non a/c cab, in which case I wouldn't be able to install the dash vents, correct?
Zach: Well, I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you what I did. I got a Vintage Air sure-fit system, for a NON-A/C cab. Instead of using the smaller side vent outlets they provide, I purchased a pair of factory reproduction vents. They are available from almost any vendor, LMC, GMC Pauls, Brothers, you name it. You can use whatever vents you want. I went further and smoothed the firewall, not using the Vintage Air block off panel. I just formed one out of metal, and drilled for a bulkhead fitting. Very tight behind the dash, but it can all be made to fit.

Just test fit everything, and think your layout thru. It isn't that difficult, I am sure you can do it.

If you need more pictures, let me know. I took plenty of the build.

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

If you can weld and grind you can modify the firewall holes to match a factory a/c case. It's your choice but a lot of guys these days are going with an aftermarket heat/air kit from Vintage Air or a couple of others where it cleans up the firewall and the complete unit mounts inside the cab. Below dash vents as well as factory in dash vents are available.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #11
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
If you can weld and grind you can modify the firewall holes to match a factory a/c case. It's your choice but a lot of guys these days are going with an aftermarket heat/air kit from Vintage Air or a couple of others where it cleans up the firewall and the complete unit mounts inside the cab. Below dash vents as well as factory in dash vents are available.
This is the way I went as well. That's what I was trying to tell you. Will post a picture of the firewall side of the install, you can see the rest in the previous picture...
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #12
Zach Jaynes

Wow, just wow Darrell, that looks beyond amazing.