The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
IndifferentJester

TH350 Output shaft seal replacement

So I've read and understood the most of what I'm supposed to do to replace this seal. Unbolt the rear of the shaft, making sure to tape the bearing. Then unbolt the front and slide the shaft out. While I'm replacing the seal, I'll also be replacing the bearing and o ring in the housing as well. I'll be taking the housing to a transmission shop so they can do the bushing on the inside since it looks like a pita.

My question is I've only read and seen them done on one piece drive shaft, how is this different with a two piece that is currently in my car? I've never really had to work on components with the drive shaft so this will be a newish experience and seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Jeff's72C10*

Re: TH350 Output shaft seal replacement

When I did mine, I just took the whole 2 piece shaft out. You'll need to unbolt the carrier bearing from the frame also to accomplish this. I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will chime in.

69 SB CST - sold
72 Cheyenne Super LB - sold
Jeff's72C10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
IndifferentJester

Re: TH350 Output shaft seal replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff's72C10* View Post
When I did mine, I just took the whole 2 piece shaft out. You'll need to unbolt the carrier bearing from the frame also to accomplish this. I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will chime in.
Jeff, thanks for the reply and knowledge. I did what you mentioned and it made everything easy. Hard part was just being solo and that damn seal/bearing, which was fixed once I got a bearing driver kit.

After taking out the housing.

Cleaned the housing.

Removed the seal and bearing.

Now I know the driver looks upside down, generally wanting the flange towards the bearing so it can sit on the tapered end. The issue I had the sizing that would be used was scuffed and not circular due to other people using this kit. Next best thing I did was flip it around and get a bigger size so that The flat would bottom out with the housing, preventing me from wacking it too far in. Worked fairly easy.

And after installed.

One of the easier replacements that I've done, only next to do is replace the transmission pan/gasket.