The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
davepl

Custom Coil Springs

Long story short, need truck to sit a little lower and ride a little softer but don't know how to buy that spring!

This is for my '69 2+2, but trucks have coils too so it's a general enough question I won't hide it in Alternate Tinkering...

My car sits a little high in the back. You only get 3 choices of springs, really (coupe, sedan, wagon) plus or minus a big block. But back in the day there were over FIFTY different springs depending on option weight!

So I could cut a coil but the car's already a little too stiff in the back for me now, and that'd only make it worse.

What I need is to (a) know where I'm at, and (b) order a slightly softer spring rate. That'd sit a little lower and ride a little softer.

But how could I ever find out what spring I have now?

I'm thinking I need to order some known quantity, swap it in, and go from there, it might be unavoidable.

Is there a company or vendor from which I can order custom springs like that? I have no idea!

Or can you soften springs by heating them with a torch or does that just ruin the spring?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
RodnRudy

Re: Custom Coil Springs

You might try these guys:
http://www.eatondetroitspring.com
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
davepl

Thanks, I looked, but they're just as bad - they offer 3 springs from which you can "custom" order cut coils. And they don't list coil heights or spring rates or anything that you could use to "tune" from one selection to the next.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
sick472

Dave, Try to call Eaton Detroit. I have had good conversations with them regarding spring selections and they have been very forthcoming with spring dimensions and spring rates with a couple of past builds of mine.

Do you have your springs off the car currently? If so, that will help them determine where to try and go from here. They will want the wire diameter, outer diameter of the coil, the number of coils, the free length, and the end configurations. You can also estimate the spring rate by measuring the free length and then putting a known weight on it, like 100 to 300 pounds, and measuring the compressed length. The weight you used divided by the distance it smashed down should be pretty close to the actual spring rate UNLESS you have progressive springs...then you on your own.

I think you could get the spring rate with the springs on the car, but you would have to make sure you put the weight right over the axle and divide it (the weight) by two because two springs are involved at that point.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
demian5

Chevelle rear springs are the same as C10. At least 69-72 are. Maybe get a wagon spring.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote