The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
apstguy
LED King

Engine cleaning and emission hosing

What do you guys use to clean the engine compartment other than degreaser. I was going to use Simple green, but I heard it strips paint. Recommendations?

I replaced my drivers side valve cover. I had a rubber gasket in. Took it out and it was in 3 pieces. I guess that is why it was leaking so bad! Anways, I had to take some emissions hose out to get to it. The hosing after almost 20 years was brittle and cracked everywhere. It was just cord reinforced rubber so I got enough to replace it. My problem is one of the junctions fell apart. It was a 3 3/8 and one 1/4. I can't find the tee anywhere. Can anyone help me out?

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:21 AM   #2
crackajacka
Stylin

i used simply green on mine this is how it turned out http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=76221 the black spots on my firewall have always been there, im sure it might hurt the paint if u get it on the outside of your truck but i dont think it would hurt the firewall paint, just be sure to get a good angle on the hose if u use simple green and besure to use a good low pressure( either at the car wash or just running water at the house) but u could also just use the engine degreaser at the car wash then run the wash on it then rinse it see how it looks, but use low-mid pressure always unless its just a spot clean or say your cleaning your water pump/powersteering pump then have at it lol. sry this is long winded.... are u talking about the T that goes to the pcv valve then to 2 other places? if so i can ship u a T, ive still got mine.

Last edited by crackajacka; 11-11-2003 at 03:23 AM.
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I use Castrol Super Clean, it comes in a purple bottle. It works really well, and won't harm the paint under your hood. I also have a neighbor with a pressure washer. That really helps also.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
C&C Chevy

Castrol Super Clean is very caustic. It can mess up finishes. I've tried both simple green engine cleaner and castrols, and Simple Green engine cleaner (in the black bottle) is alot better, IMO.

Read the directions first though, because it tells you to rinse the engine first, then apply the cleaner.

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:35 AM   #5
Moloko
Hoarding Rusty Objects

This is going to sound wierd, but give it a shot, it will work. Go get a can of gunk engine cleaner. When the engine is COLD spray the whole can on your engine bay. Let it sit overnight. The next morning hose it off. Once the water is dry spray an entire can of tire-shine (the aerosol ones) on the engine bay, yes the whole can. Then let that sit until it dries. You'll be really surprised at the results.

Follow me on Youtube! - http://www.youtube.com/user/FuelInjectionSucks
Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:32 AM   #6
apstguy
LED King

Tire shine = silicone silicone+chrome= streaks!

I ordered the 4 way T from the dealer. I was surprised they still could get it as any emissions hosing parts were discontinued years ago. The parts guy was surprised too!

I got a new washer bottle & motor. They now have a new design for the w/s washer motor. When I get it installed I will see how well it works. The one I have now is LOUD. Loud enough to scare people.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:50 AM   #7
crackajacka
Stylin

just asking but how fast do ya'lls windshield wipers move when there on high mine are just down right slow
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #8
bigd65

spay some LITHIUM SPRAY GREASE behind the motor where it mounts to the firewall (while the wipers are running). i did that and mine works right now.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #9
Baldheadednut

I use Mean Green. Its cheap and it worked better than Gunk, although I didnt do it the way Moloko said.I found it at Wal-Mart for $2 for 40oz. Its worth a shot.
Baldheadednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #10
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I use a lot of mean green. It really cleans up tires, gets all the dirt and brake dust off. I soak the tires when they are dry (works a lot better). Scrub them a little then soak them again and then hose them off. They look good but they have a clean but dull look so I use a little bit of tire dressing (low or no gloss) on a cloth and wipe them.

The hardest part about getting the engine degreased is you have to scrap off all the piled on grease and things so the cleaners can get the rest of it. Depends on how gunked up the motor is also but this would be worst case deal. I use mean green because I use it like water. It works pretty good but you don't want to breath it. Its not like carb cleaner or anything but still nasty. Super clean sounds like it a lot more caustic than simple green (mean green) but I haven't used it yet.

If you want something totally safe get a brush something like a vegetable washing bush and a bottle of dawn and have a scrubbing party lol