The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
'69C-10

Confused with how a leaf spring flip kit is going to work.

To clarify, I understand how flip kits work, but I must be missing something on my '71 frame. I read about a flip getting 6"-7" drop with a 50/50 on needing a notch. I'm running 235/70/15 that are 4" away from the fender lip. My axle is 4.5" away from the frame before a flip. Currently I don't think my axle would even fit between my leafs and frame. I understand that these are old leafs and they appear to sit pretty flat but regardless getting rid of the 4" of tire gap would leave about .5" from axle to frame....

Last edited by '69C-10; 05-29-2018 at 03:33 PM.
'69C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
kenr74

Re: Confused with how a leaf spring flip kit is going to work.

Your springs must be really flat. I just flipped my C20 and think I have about the same clearance as you do. Maybe a little less but not buy much.

Are your tires already tucked into the bed when you put some weight in it?
kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
'69C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Your springs must be really flat. I just flipped my C20 and think I have about the same clearance as you do. Maybe a little less but not buy much.

Are your tires already tucked into the bed when you put some weight in it?
I haven't had any weight in the bed as the wood floor is being redone. I just don't see how I can get rid of the 4" wheel gap with only 4.5" of clearance from axle to frame while others are dropping 6" with no notch.
'69C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
kenr74

I don't have my bed on yet to measure the tire/fender gap. I agree that you will have a hard time tucking those tires though since you are so close to the axle already.
kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by '69C-10 View Post
...I just don't see how I can get rid of the 4" wheel gap with only 4.5" of clearance from axle to frame while others are dropping 6" with no notch.
You are right, you can't, it is basic math. You are going to need a notch unless you want to constantly hit the bump stops. Can't say how others are doing it and it doesn't really matter. What matters is what you have on your truck.

My 93 Suburban had a flip kit and notch when I got it. Sometimes on a hard bump it would bottom out on the little Red Urethane bump stops they installed and would rattle your teeth!

On yours without a notch you are going to hate it! Your going to be hitting the bump stops constantly and the ride it going to be miserable without a notch.

I put up with mine for about a year because it didn't happen that often. But I got tired of driving down the Interstate at 65-70 and cringing when I saw a big bump I couldn't avoid. Last trip with a load and trailer was the last straw!

I would have to measure but mine had about 4" of clearance. I added Neoprene bump stops that are about 3" tall and that made a HUGE difference in mine. I can feel when they touch the axle but they cushion the impact extremely well and even on hard bumps they really smooth out the ride.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote