The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
TwinTurbo

rear brakes locking up

Does anyone else have this problem? When i brake hard the truck brakes very good on the front brakes, but the rears lock up really fast. I know the later trucks had a kind of anti lock system on them but mine does not (83). I figure this is because there''s not much weight on the rear axle and it''s lowered quite a bit and the rear suspension is REALLY stiff. This all does not help.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Check your rear drums and brake shoes for evidence of fluid leaks - either brake fluid from the brake cylinders or rear-end oil from the axle seals. This oily stuff gets on and into the brake shoes forming a sticky residue. Even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal can make them bind.

Common problem and easy fix. I've had to do it twice.

Good Luck,

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
TwinTurbo

The shoes are fine, no leaks anywhere. They brake very well when I am careful with the brake, just when stopping harder than usual they lock up.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:44 PM   #4
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Maybe the master cylinder or proportioning valve. I don't have any personal experience with the valve myself. And my MC was an overall failure not just rear brakes - but I'm sure someone here will have your solution.

Just hang tight, I'm sure help's on it's way.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:45 PM   #5
TwinTurbo

MC is fine, I rebuilt the front brakes too and the prop valve is fine too. Did a brake balance test and it all checked out fine.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Hmmmmm....

Old 11-12-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
TwinTurbo

but, does anyone here have problems with brakes locking up easily in the rear? I''m starting to think it's a truck inherent problem mainly because 87+featured the brake control device (whatever it was called, sort of an ABS system)
Old 11-12-2003, 07:46 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

They all do this. It's just the way they are. But, I can tell you how to fix it for good.

http://www.73-87.com/garage/lbs.htm

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:49 PM   #9
TwinTurbo

Mike, now that''s the stuff .. damn there was one of those valves on ebay last week and I didn''t buy it because I wasn't sure it could fix the problem since I wasn''t sure if there was a prob. with the prop valve or the rear brakes. Dang, time to start looking for one.

Does your valve have 2 ports or 3 ports? On your page it looks like it has only 2 ports (and the stewart one I saw had 2 ports too) but the nascar boys run a 3 port one, there's a pressure in port on the side of the valve and the 2 others go to the calipers (either both recirc. ports or 1 recirc. port and 1 normal brake line port) ???

Last edited by TwinTurbo; 11-12-2003 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mine is 2 ports, one in and one out. It goes in the main line going to the rear brakes. I didn't know they made a three port, but it's been a long time since I bought mine. At the time, they said you would have to use two with rear discs. With drum brakes the one I have was all that's needed.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:07 PM   #11
TwinTurbo

The 3 port is for a front or rear 2 disk setup, they must have changed the system so you can use 1 3 port valve. in the front and 1 in the rear.

Thanks a bunch, I'm gonna get me one of those.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:15 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I always really believed in Howard Stewart and everything he sold. His place burned down and it wasn't long after he rebuilt it, he sold out. I guess he made his millions and decided to call it quits. But they still call the business Stewart Components. The LBS part he sold to DPI Racing Products.

Anyway, this thing really works. It's not blowing smoke like some of this stuff you see advertised. After locking my rear brakes a few times and coming real close to hitting cars while sliding sideways, I said enough is enough and bought one. I was a bit skeptical at first, but if it's good enough for NASCAR, it's got to be good enough for me, right?

Well, once again, it works. I can hit the brakes hard now and they won't lock like before, to the point of loosing control and sliding. Well worth the money to me. I would do it again in a minute.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
TwinTurbo

You certainly convinced me. I value quality parts & systems, I have many nascar parts on my corvette and the quality on those is far superior than the stuff you buy from so called performance parts manufacturers that are in reality all about looks.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #14
1985K10

My wheel cylinders were leaking, rear brakes locked all the time, replaced them and they have been fine ever since. Make sure to clean the drums really good and replace the brake shoes.
77 GMC Royal Sierra~Resto in progress~
1985K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:18 AM   #15
TwinTurbo

Mine don't lock all the time, they just apply too much initial brake pressure when braking hard. I'll check it again just to make sure tho. When I brake hard and let off a bit to get the rear rolling again and then brake again but slowly they don't lock up.

In the wet it's a different story though, these light trucks are like suicide planes.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #16
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

When I was single I had a '79 Cutlass I had fixed up rather nicely. A little old lady cut off a 73-87 that was next to me on the highway. The girl braked hard and spun into my Cutlass, totalling it. That was how I learned about the "interesting" braking qualities of these trucks. I still bought one anyway. I tried to buy the one that hit me, but she wouldn't sell it.

Slonaker
Old 11-13-2003, 12:33 PM   #17
TwinTurbo

Yea tell me about it, the guy from the leather upholstery shop that redid my interior nearly crapped his pants after the rear locked up on him, I wonder if he took it out for a testdrive instead of just driving it in and out the shop, oh well, bet he won't do that again