The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Sammy4358

Re assembly 1959 GMC

Does anyone have an assembly list for installing the cab interior for a total restoration on a 59 GMC 100. This is my first restoration and I know everything that has to be installed but not sure the order to install them. I would like to do this without having to remove items that I already installed to put something else that should have gone first.
Thanks in advance for any helpful info
Sammy4358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Re assembly 1959 GMC

post a pic so we know what is already inside.
start with the firewall sound deadener parts unless that is done already, the battery tray bolts on from under the hood so ensure that is good to go as well as running a tap through the hood hinge bolt holes, then cowl vent assemblies, heater, wiper motor and related parts, park brake, heater control, bulkier larger stuff that is behind the dash. wiring and switches would be last on my list, lots of guys install them with all the other stuff already in place so it can't be that tough. not sure if the assembly manual would really outline the assembly steps, just how it was put together, as in how it all fits like an exploded view.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Sammy4358

The cab is bare metal, all I have done at this point is install the wiper motor and linkage. I want to put LMC insulation sheets down and then I have to install everything.
I would love to post some pictures but I am not smart enough to know how to do that on this site, I have tried before with no luck.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
dsraven

Thumbs up Re: Re assembly 1959 GMC

easy, if you have pics on your computer.
-go to post reply, a window opens for your comments
-scroll down just below the window where it says "manage attachments" in a small grey box. click on the box
-another window opens on the top left and says "upload file from your computer". there are several little grey boxes below that, one for each pic you want to down load
-click on the first "choose file" box. a window will open showing the storage on your computer where you can choose your pic from. just find the pic you want and then click on the "open" box in the bottom right of that window. the window will disappear at this point and the othetr window will be back in view
-next to where you clicked to "choose file" is a box that says "upload"
-click on the upload button. you will see at the bottom of that window there is a percentage marker showing the progress. when it is done you will see the file name appear in the "current attachments" box within that box, near the bottom manage attachments area. you will also see the attached file show up in the "manage attachments" area where this all started. you can click on that attachment and it will open another tab on the computer and show you the file you attached. that way you can be sure it is the pic you want. remember not to "X" out of that by clicking the top right hand corner because that will close the internet browser. if you want to close the window with the pic simply close that tab at the top of the browser. if that is not the pic you thought you had attached you can remove it by clicking on "remove file" in that smaller box that opened previously. if that box has gone away it is probably just hiding and you can find it by clicking on the bottom toolbar icon for the internet, which will show you how many pages you have open.
-when done hit "submit reply" like you normally would.

boom,
done
certificate is in the mail, you're a techie now........
Old 06-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Sammy4358

Thanks, I'll try it now
Old 06-28-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy4358 View Post
The cab is bare metal, all I have done at this point is install the wiper motor and linkage.
first remove the wiper motor an linkage to paint the cab, nothing should be installed in the cab before paint
any insulation would go in after the paint is done, the only exception i can think of is trial fitting stuff to make sure it fits

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Sammy4358

Sorry, I forgot to mention the truck just came back from the paint shop
Old 06-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Sammy4358

Here are the pics:
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
dsraven

my thoughts,
-assemble the doors so you can open/close from inside
-do the sound deadener if you are planning
-install the stuff that will go through the firewall, choke cable, speedo cable etc
-install the wiper motor and linkage if not there already
-install the vent doors etc
-install the heater
-install the windshield, it is a hard job so better to get it done before there are any other things stuck to the dash that could inadvertently get broken
-install the rear window
-install the switches, knobs heater control, gage cluster etc
-install the glove box and door
-install the fuel tank
-install the flooring
-install the seat
-connect the shifter linkage
-install any remaining hole plugs or grommets that are missing in the firewall and/or floor area

just curious, what is the extra thing by the carb that looks like a piece of steel line in the pic?
Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
Sammy4358

the top one is the fuel, the lower one is the vacuum advance and the copper line behind the carb. is the oil pressure line.
Thanks for the list in order