The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
jorgensensc

Rear Differential Question

Hey guys and gals,
Been awhile but I have a quick couple of questions for my Gurus out there. I am replacing my '72 C20 Suburban coil spring Dana 60 rear differential with a 2003 11.5" AAM rear differential with disk brakes from a Silverado 3/4 ton. I already took off the spring perches and the shock mounts and purchased the new trailing arm pads from captainfab. I've got a few questions for you guys.

1- Has any body else done this, and do you have any pointers or advice?

2- I know there is a residual valve built into the factory proportioning valve on the '72. do I need to change out the Prop Valve for a Disc/Disc prop valve, or can i just run the brake lines right off the current Master Cylinder and bypass a prop valve all together?

3-Does anyone know the adapter size I need to go from the AAM brake hose to the factory '72 brake hardline?

4- I wil need to get a new Panhard bar bracket, any suggestions?

5-My Dana 60 pan hard bar mount has an ear on the diff housing itself, so I can't reuse that. I think the '72 C20 with optioned Eaton Rear has an actual welded on bracket. It appears the Panhard bar is longer on that rear than on the Dana 60 Rear diff. Am I wrong? Does anyone have the two different Panhard Bar measurements if they are different?

5- If using an aftermarket Panhard bar, any recommendations for one that will be long enough?

Thanks for all of the help! I need to get this thing swapped before my howling rear explodes!

Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Rear Differential Question

Why don't you just have the 'howling rear' fixed. Gonna cost you a bunch to get that thing to fit. Custom brackets and a panhard bar for starts. Probably a driveline shorten, disc brake master. Parking brake cable fab/modify to make them work properly
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
jorgensensc

Re: Rear Differential Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Why don't you just have the 'howling rear' fixed. Gonna cost you a bunch to get that thing to fit. Custom brackets and a panhard bar for starts. Probably a driveline shorten, disc brake master. Parking brake cable fab/modify to make them work properly
I already had the dana 60 looked at. Cost was going to be about 2400.00 to rebuild. I looked around for a month for another one, and was having a very hard time finding any at all! the ones I did find were extremely questionable and had sat and no one would guarantee that they didn't need a rebuild themselves.

I already bought a low mileage (22k) 11.5" AAM FF with disc brakes and 3.73 ratio for 500.00. Got the trailing arm perches for less than 100.00. just need to figure out the pan hard bracket, hose adapter, parking brake connection, and U-joint conversion and it will mount right up. From what I understand there is no need for a driveshaft adjustment.

So all in all, cheaper in the long run..

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote