The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
magendim

Newbie Looking - found this C20

Hello! Looking for a secondary vehicle and need a pickup for some occasional hauling so have been looking at early 70 Ford and Chevy's so I don't have to deal with smog (and like the looks of both, but lean towards Chevy's...)

Anyway, found this 1970 C20 here on the west coast so will likely go have a look at it early next week. Drivetrain has been redone, 383 V8 with 400 trans, flowmaster exhaust, a little rust on the usual bottom corners on the doors. I believe the front disc brake conversion has also been done. Interior needs some work as you can see. Appears to have 91,000 miles on it. Seller is asking $8,700 OBO and it's been for sale for 3-4 weeks.

I'm a car guy from way back and handy with a wrench but would appreciate any tips on what to look out for for on these models and such, as well as thought on pricing. Thanks!!
Attached Images

magendim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Old_Gold

Re: Newbie Looking - found this C20

from the photos, looks like a nice truck. Same with Amy used vehicle, runs and drives with no surprises. Beyond that, make sure to check boards, rockers and mounts under the cab for rust. Since there is no pad on the brake pedal, it's likely over the 91k on the odometer. I always like to check the fuse panel, to see if any thing funny is going on. Test everything for function, and good luck with your quest!
Old_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
yuccales

[QUOTE=magendim;8329152]Hello! Looking for a secondary vehicle and need a pickup for some occasional hauling QUOTE]

Looks like a nice truck. Should take care of your hauling request. If you have turned wrenches in the past, you know what to look for. Good luck finding a ride and welcome to a great site!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Coley

Smile Re: Newbie Looking - found this C20

Looks pretty good and it appears the drivetrain has had some nice updates.

The important thing in these trucks tho' is the body condition. Make sure you check under the truck and get a good luck at the cab supports, etc.
As well, look above the windshield glass (outer and inner) and check for signs of rust, bubbling etc. This area is a very expensive fix.

If you end up with something that is quite rusty under reasonable paint it will probably cost you another $10K to get the body back in condition to make the truck last and hold value.

Again...the truck looks quite nice and clean...but seriously check out the body condition, that is the highest value part of these trucks...not the drivetrain or the details.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
magendim

Thanks for the tips, especially about what body rust problem areas to look at. I know body condition is pretty important since that work costs a fortune these days whereas drivetrain & interior can be reworked much easier.

I will also be looking at a pretty much original (aside from a repaint) '70 F250 w/ 69,000 and that guy posted photos of the undercarriage and cab support areas. Surface rust underneath but no rot in that case except for some bubbling on the door corners.

There was also the '72 4x4 below I saw up in WA in the same price range, also looks to be original with a rebuilt 350 & tranny. Guy says little rust but looks like it has it in the usual places from the pictures and a number of smallish dents scattered around the truck.

I do like the looks of the '72 and below Chevy C series better the the Ford F's but OTOH I do like a good solid original vehicle to start with....
Attached Images

Last edited by magendim; 08-24-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
magendim

And I know this isn't a Ford forum but this is the F250 I spoke of in my last post...
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Barnfind46

Had a '70 F**d years ago before I wised up and got my Chevy. The F-250 I had was rusting out on the two front cab mounts and no where else. They are open on the front and dirt and road grime settle in there. All of this stuff applies to any older car or truck.If you see rust then you can count on it being about 2 to 4 times worst than what you see.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by magendim View Post
And I know this isn't a Ford forum but this is the F250 I spoke of in my last post...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Drew3

I’ve got the same steering wheel. 😄 10X better than the 305/th400 rust bucket I bought!
Posted via Mobile Device
Drew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
jocko

OK OK! Just kidding. And welcome to the forum. 1st truck is somewhat solid, but rather modified. Depends what you want. Personally, I'm not a fan of modified 3/4 tons, but that's just me. I guess I'm not a fan of any modified trucks, but I can see a 1/2 ton hot rod, etc, have had some in fact. If YOU like the first truck - is it worth that price to you? That's the real question. I'd prefer the K10 you posted - BUT, it does appear to have a lot of rust beneath fresh paint at the bottom of the doors. That screams flipper and more severe rust problems than are obvious. As for the Ford, well, see my previous post It's actually the nicest condition of all 3 trucks you posted in my humble opinion.

Personally, if you're looking for a 2nd vehicle and need a truck to haul - sounds like it's not urgent - I'd keep looking. Have you checked out this thread? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...53860&page=190
Lots of opportunities there daily - and learn to become a craigslist guru - and you will find something you like rather quickly. Again, if you like the truck in post 1, and you're good with the price, by all means - it may be the truck for you. But the shaved, or missing, rear bumper, funky steering wheel, wheels, lowered stance, chrome stickers, non-stock gauges, modified radiator mounting/cover, etc etc turn me off right away (again, just me). So, there you go, a dissenting opinion. I'd pass on all three and keep looking - I think the C20 is too much money for what it is - UNLESS you'd do the exact same thing to it if you bought it in stock condition. In that case, and I think that case alone, you'd be coming out ahead and happier if you bought it. If that's not exactly your style, hold on for the next one, it will show up.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
bill3rail

Both GM's look good, not sure I like the CB antenna.

I believe you will find more parts are available for the 67-72 Chevy/GMC that any ford trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magendim View Post
My name is Bill and I have owned a F@&d truck in my past.

I should not admit that out in the open...