The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
raidmagic

New e brake cable.

Anyone have any ideas for me? I bought a new brake cable as I cut mine by accident. Just the front one. It is about 2 inches shorter than it needs to be to reach where it belongs. I have it installed on the brake handle, the handle is all the way in in the "off" position or "down" and with the jam nut all the way to the end of the threaded part I am about 3/8" from being able to put the bracket on the truck.

I pulled the assembly forward with a clamp but it still won't reach. Is there an adjustment for the rear cables?

This is for a 65 with the bracket set up on the center crossmember.

Thanks for any ideas.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
1998c1500

Re: New e brake cable.

I am having the same problem with the 65 I just bought. I had to move the Ebrake crossmember back to the rear set of holes in the frame because of the TH350 mount location. My mechanism is missing the piece that the cable hooks to also. My front cable just has a threaded rod at the end. They make what is called a threaded rod coupler that you could extend the rod, or you can make a bracket to extend the missing difference between the cable and the mount.

Here is a link for a coupling for visual purposes only. Probably not the right threads/size

https://catalog.chatsworth.com/cable...d-coupling-kit
1998c1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998c1500 View Post
I am having the same problem with the 65 I just bought. I had to move the Ebrake crossmember back to the rear set of holes in the frame because of the TH350 mount location. My mechanism is missing the piece that the cable hooks to also. My front cable just has a threaded rod at the end. They make what is called a threaded rod coupler that you could extend the rod, or you can make a bracket to extend the missing difference between the cable and the mount.

Here is a link for a coupling for visual purposes only. Probably not the right threads/size

I considered one of those couplings but it falls right in the way. I think I'm just going to remake the bracket that attaches it to the truck.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
jmcap

Hi Guys,
Hope you don't mind me hitch hiking on your thread. I also am redoing the cables on my 65. The former owner/s were truly 'shoe makers'. Have learned that the two rear cables are of different lengths: one at approx. 80" and the other at 91". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the longer is for the passenger side as it needs to come across up front to attach to the front cable?

I also had trouble locating the equalizer bar that attaches the two rear cables to the front 'pull cable'. Found a part at Advance Auto that I'm hoping does the job. It's description is:

Parking Brake Equalizer Bar, Part # 16751.14, manufactured by Omix - Ada

Any thoughts or info is deeply appreciated.
jmcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
f66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998c1500 View Post

I have found inlinetube.com. Makes great cables and gas various brackets. Try them. Frank
f66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
The Rocknrod

Or you can get them made to fit: http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-cables-2/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
raidmagic

Just an update. I pieced my old cable back together and it measures out to match this new cable. I then used a clamp and pulled the bracket forward to get the cable on it. I think this is actually right. I can't test it right now because I have all the front suspension off the truck. I'll report back when I can roll it and test it.