The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
rpmerf

Energy Suspension Body Mount info

Wanted to put this out there for future reference. I am about half way through the install, just wanted to catalog the additional pieces I needed to buy. 70 C20, note that some mounts are different from the C10. Using the Energy Suspension set:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...031690&jsn=527

Apparently, these kits are made for trucks that don't live in the rust belt. The kit does not include:
Sleeve / washer for the rear cab bushing. In the original, the sleeve is welded to the top washer.
Sleeve for the front cab mount
Bolt and nut for the front cab mount
Bolt and nut for the radiator support mount

Rear cab sleeve:
1.00" outside diameter
0.120" wall
3-7/8". Don't know the factory size, this is what the directions specified. My factory ones were too rusted to determine the original length.
I used a separate washer. 7/16" hole, 3" outside diameter, .120" thick.
This sleeve was a tight fit in the bushing, but I was able to get it in. I beveled the edges a bit to make it easier to get started.

Front cab sleeve:
.875" outside diameter
0.120" wall
2.25" length. This should be about what it was from the factory. Think I measured my factory one at 2.21".
This sleeve fit snug, but wasn't herd to get into place.

Front cab bolt:
9/16"-12, 5.5" long. Use grade 5 or 8.
Locking nut (oval)

Radiator Support Bolt:
This bolt has a square plate on top to hold it in place. I am reusing mine as the rust isn't too bad. The directions specify this as a 3/8" bolt, but mine is 7/16", so I needed to drill out the washers. If I feel motivated enough, I may get new 7/16" bolts, and fender washers. Tack the bolt to the washer and cut the washer down to size to match the previous bolts. I believe I have seen other instructions that use a carriage bolt

Other notes:
I went to https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/metals/ for my sleeves. Only cost me $8.
9/16" is an odd bolt size, so don't expect Home Depot or Lowes to carry it. I got it from a specialty bolt and scew shop.

Hopefully someone down the road will find this information useful.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Energy Suspension Body Mount info

I have one of those awaiting an install and find your info very useful. Noting some of the more reputable members of this site everyone seems to like the Original Rubber kits. I have heard the Urethane will squeak going down the road.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
ratty69

Subscribing for future reference.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
rpmerf

I can't remember if I looked into any of the rubber kits. I bought this kit a while back off Rock Auto.

I am covering any metal to rubber surface in axle grease. Hopefully that helps with the squeaking.

I have the 4 cab mounts in with the bolts semi loose. Still need to get the 2 radiator mounts in. I can tell the cab has shifted around a bit, so I will have to move it back somehow. I'll try to remember to post an update when I am done.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Good luck. That's messed up they don't even give all parts involved like you get with the OEM style. It's not just the squeaking people don't like, it's the harshness or lack of cushion you get from urethane. The whole point of the mounts are to provide a flex point between chassis and body and the whole idea of urethane bushings is to limit flex. Urethane helps improve cornering when used in the suspension, but you give up some ride. But that's the toss-up to get better handling. If you combine urethane suspension for handling with rubber body for ride it's will ride way better than all urethane and not handle much better if any at all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
4carbcorvair

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Good luck. That's messed up they don't even give all parts involved like you get with the OEM style. It's not just the squeaking people don't like, it's the harshness or lack of cushion you get from urethane. The whole point of the mounts are to provide a flex point between chassis and body and the whole idea of urethane bushings is to limit flex. Urethane helps improve cornering when used in the suspension, but you give up some ride. But that's the toss-up to get better handling. If you combine urethane suspension for handling with rubber body for ride it's will ride way better than all urethane and not handle much better if any at all.
I installed the ES mounts in my 97 GMC, honestly I didn't notice a difference in ride/comfort/noise. Of coarse the old mounts/bushings were so old and beat up too.