The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2018, 01:47 AM   #1
72timemachine

When do I tighten the pivot shaft nuts on my truck's suspension?

I just got done cleaning and painting all my front suspension parts (engine sub-frame, control arms, etc) and I cannot find any information on when to tighten the lower pivot shaft nuts on the truck.

I found a very good video on Youtube where this guy was rebuilding the front end of an older Chevelle and he said to tighten the control arm bushings when the full weight of the car was on the ground. Granted my suspension is a bit different but should I do the same thing and wait until my truck is on the ground? My other concern is, that if that is true, I would imagine I should also wait until I get the engine and transmission installed to get the full weight of the vehicle on the ground.

Thanks for any help.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: When do I tighten the pivot shaft nuts on my truck's suspension?

Once they are installed there is no need to adjust or tighten them on these years
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:58 AM   #3
72timemachine

That's cool, one less thing to add to the "finish list".

My other question is: Went these bushings style type nuts, for lack of a better description, wear out, do they become sloppy inside the control arm in which they pass through, you know, like clucking around type slop? Never seen a bad one yet, I just want to know what a bad one begins to look like.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #4
toolboxchev

You cannot, for the most part see the wear on these. However you can jack the vehicle up and support the lower a-arm with a jack stand and get under the vehicle and move the tire left to right and watch for ever so slight movement in them. It can be hard to decipher. A buddy may help by moving the tire for you to aid in visibility.

When I originally got my rig I replaced the upper control arm shafts within the first year of ownership upon recommendation of an alignment shop. 10 years later I looked under my vehicle, which I do more than anyone I know, and was amazed to see the lower control shaft wearing through the bushing. I replaced those with lower ball joints 3 years ago and now need to do the same side upper that the bottom was worn thru. I just about ordered a complete component set from Jegs, all MOOG. All USA parts, no mixed up junk from a local retailer. I have owned the truck for over 13 years now.

I am very happy about my purchase and finally getting my front end together to get my truck from acting like a drunkard going down the road.

See this:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=770382
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:20 AM   #5
72timemachine

Thanks for the detailed answer. I also like to get a handle on components that don't look long for this world. In the meantime I always have the grease gun on standby with a backup cartridge on the shelf. Seems the cheapest easy way to defend yourself against worn front end parts, of course dodging potholes helps, it just look like your driving under the influence.