The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
jadedbird

Pancake and Porterbuilt?

Alrighty guys. I'm looking at some bagged projects. So let me start out by telling you what I am trying to achieve.

Goals:
1972 c10 long wheel base frame. 29.75" tire (275 45 20)
No I don't want to lay frame. No I don't want to lay rockers.
I do want to be very low. About an 2" off the ground at the lowest place. (I think lower arms would be the lowest point) that way if I have a failure, I can limp home and be able to get a jack under the truck.

Initial ideas:
I was thinking about pancaking the crossmember an 1 inch or 1.25 inches. Then either cupping the stock arms about a 2 inch, or using porterbuilt arms. The rear I planned on a small step notch no larger than 8 inches So I can have a bed and stock (non sectioned) wheel housings.

As much as id like a drop member, I'm trying to see if I can achieve what I want without it. I don't mind altering the front inner fender wells. But I want to keep the steering as close to stock as possible. And try to avoid notching the front frames for the tie rods if at all possible when pancaking the crossmember. I don't want to z the frame because I don't want to modify the cab floor
jadedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Rob#2

Re: Pancake and Porterbuilt?

I realize that you said you want a bagged set-up, but have you looked into GSI machine coilover front crossmember? You can run stock spindles on it and not be on the ground.
https://www.gsimfab.com/63-72-coilov...4296_8866.html
Rob#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
jadedbird

Re: Pancake and Porterbuilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob#2 View Post
I realize that you said you want a bagged set-up, but have you looked into GSI machine coilover front crossmember? You can run stock spindles on it and not be on the ground.
https://www.gsimfab.com/63-72-coilov...4296_8866.html
I don't mind running lowering spindles. Lowering 2.5" with zero sacrifice to ride and a afternoon bolt on job is something I'll gladly do. I don't see the reason to buy a drop member with coilovers. I want bags because of the adjustability. Ill be running ridetech shocks.
jadedbird is offline   Reply With Quote