The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
jewels.

Exclamation ATTN: Kansas City -- MY TRUCK BROKE DOWN!!!!

please help me, kansas city people!

i will cross-post this on the kansas city board as well. my truck did not make it home tonight. it broke down on burlington st/ave (highway 9), in north KC. i have it pushed into a parking lot for the time being, and a good semaritan gave me a ride to my apartment complex. (THANK YOU MARK, the good semaritan, Whoever you are!)

i need to find a resonable tow back to my apartment complex, where i can begin to fix the problem... can anyone help me out?

if you are interested in the problem, i only had a short chance to glance at the carb, because my ride was waiting. it showed gas laying in the slots on the manifold. it was acting like the carberator was not getting any gas --- had to force the pedal to get gas.... would not idle. my guess is that the gasket on the carb (btwn the carb and the manifold) may have gone bad, and i might need to rebuild. the fuel line did not look like it was leaking. however, i could not pinpoint the exact location of the leak. i'll have to look at it some more, when i get a chance to get it back to my carport.

can anyone help me out? i'm free all night tonight... and i can get off work tomorrow if needed....

lemme know.... i'll be monitoring the board closely tonight.... or send me an IM

yahoo: callmejewelzs
AOL: callmejewelz
MSN: leonardj@purdue.edu

thanks!
jewels.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
dubie

almost sounds like you were sucking air instead of fuel, so the carb seating gasket might be the first place to look. Your carb float may be stuck open as well. This happened to my 72 and wouldn't allow it to runn for more than 30 seconds and you really had to fight to keep it going. Your carb and seat gasket is where I would look first Jewels

Good luck

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
cdowns

check the fuel filter in the carb
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
dubie

good point, be sure to check both fuel filters while you're at it. Also take a flashlight and shine it in your tank to make sure you don't have a bunch of rust in the bottom of the tank. How much gas is in your tank??

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:04 PM   #5
jewels.

oh guys! you are all so sweet!

although, i dont need help with diagnosis of the problem at the moment, because, like i said, i havent had a chance to look at it....

what i need now is a TOW! if anyone can suggest a quick, easy, inexpensive tow tonight, that would be great! i have a guy i could line up for tomorrow....

if anyone would be willing to use a tow strap (i have two), i would be more than willing to do that tonight.....

looks like i might be looking for a garage to work in this weekend... cause i may need to change out the carb (and maybe the intake?) ---- not sure --- cant diagnose yet.... must hold off for that....

BTW, fuel filter was just replaced in aug at the ohio board meet --- and the fuel line was tightened very well.... so i think the leak is in the carb somewhere --- but again - i must wait ---- cant diagnose yet....

jewels...
Old 11-17-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
watchamakalit

If your gonna use a strap for god sake use the one I gave you without hooks. She also was gonna mention that she has a tow bar she can put on and use. She just forgot. What would my sis do without me???
Old 11-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by watchamakalit
If your gonna use a strap for god sake use the one I gave you without hooks. She also was gonna mention that she has a tow bar she can put on and use. She just forgot.
duh - i will use the one without tow hooks on it!!!

and, no, i just returned the tow bar to its owner (longhornjeff) this last weekend --- so i dont have the tow bar anymore

thanks little brother!

jewels.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:35 PM   #8
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Jewels, get over to MyOldTruck where the KC bunch hangs out. I emailed piston for you, but he is probably on his way home.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:41 PM   #9
junkyardjohn

JEWELS -- TOO BAD YOUR SO FAR AWAY FROM HERE, OR I'D FIRE UP THE OLD TOWTRUCK & COME AND GET YOU. SHOOT I DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE CAN LIVE WITHOUT A TOWTRUCK. I GUESS THE BEST I CAN DO IS MORAL SUPPORT. THANK GAWD IT'S NOT ONE OF THOSE NEW TRUCKS , THAT YOU HAVE TO TAKE TO A COMPUTER GURU & PAY HIM $80 AN HOUR TO DIAGNOISE THE PROBLEM. AT LEAST IF THIS MOTOR HAS FUEL, SPARKS & COMPESSION IN THE RIGHT SEQUENCE,.. IT'LL RUN. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:24 PM   #10
highboy_04

i live like 3 hours away so i dont know if i would be much help.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #11
jewels.

you guys are so sweet!!!

i *wish* y'all could help me out.... but dont sweat it... i'm workin on a solution....i been talking with people all evening, but most people in a large city (like kansas city), are not used to using a tow-strap.... they usually just call tow trucks (i guess thats a difference btwn big cities and lil farm towns like where i come from - he he)....

in addition, i'm not sure if too many kansas city truck board members are checking the board regularly, so i'm not sure if they are getting my request.... who knows....

it looks like Sam_71 suggested a good person to tow the truck - but not until tomorrow morning.... i will probably call him if i dont get anything lined up tonight...

you are all so sweet!!! i'm just tryin to get her home so i can fix my little problem.... keep the encouragement or suggestions coming! i really appreciate them!

thanks!
jewels.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:30 PM   #12
highboy_04

i live out in the sticks so i'm used to chains and stuff like that. LOL i would definitly help but money is tight right now.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 PM   #13
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by highboy_04
i live out in the sticks so i'm used to chains and stuff like that. LOL i would definitly help but money is tight right now.
oh oh - dont come!!!! 3 hours is way too far!!! that is non-sense.... i was looking for someone close - 15 mins or less .... if i dont find someone, i'll just tow her home.... no big deal...

jewels.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:35 PM   #14
Mudder

Just talked to Jewels.....she has a guy number to tow it in the morning and it is off the Hwy. She is gonna try to get this guy she works with the pull her home. If anyone here can go get her PM her.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:37 PM   #15
highboy_04

hey im all for road trip it wouldnt bother me. LOL. Glad mudder set you up with someone. goodluck
Old 11-17-2003, 10:39 PM   #16
Mudder

Guy from the other board did..... but the guy works nights and does this stuff during the day.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:41 PM   #17
jewels.

yeah - Sam_71 suggested a person who runs a tow truck... but only during the days... was hoping to still find someone tonight to help move her.... but it may not be possible.... ifyou think you can help - maybe with a tow strap, send me PM....

thanks for your encouragement mudder! always a great guy!

jewels.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:43 PM   #18
highboy_04

do you know someone with a car that could help. i've broke down and pulled stuff with a car before. haha
Old 11-17-2003, 10:44 PM   #19
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I'd pay to have it towed tonight if I were you. Nothing worse than going the next day to get the truck to find out it is gone or stripped of parts. Just my .02.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 PM   #20
cableguy0

not to be bearer of bad news but one thing you need to remember you are in the city now not the country. get that truck outta there tonight and as quick as possible. mine sat on the side of the highway for no more than 3 hours and i lost over 600 in tools a 300 dollar head unit and had a broken wing window to deal with. dont take chances just call whoever and get them to tow your truck
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:53 AM   #21
jewels.

ok - ok

all you people who think that the truck is in dire straits because it is in a parking lot need to relax.....

my neighbor and i went back to where it was parked, and it is well hidden from public view, and the parking lot is the business parking lot for an automobile business.... so it should be fine for now... its not in a dangerous place.... plus, the area of the city there is not dangerous according to my neighbor.....

i could not find a decent tow company after hours to move it tonight, so it is gonna sit there until tomorrow morning.... i lined up a guy who is a friend of one of the board members --- he owns a tow truck, and he is gonna move it for a decent price....tomorrow morning, 4am.... no big deal....

i'll have to look at it when i get it home, and try to diagnose it.... i'm sure i will be back on the board asking questions tomorrow or wednesday..... i'll let ya know....

i must get to bed now - to get up at 4am....
thanks for all the help, you KC guys! mudder67, pistonNOS, sam_71! thanks!

have a good one!
ciao!
jewels.

Last edited by jewels.; 11-18-2003 at 04:31 AM.
jewels. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:13 AM   #22
jewels.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!!

ok- like many ppl have been saying all night, the float and needle in my 2bbl carb was stuck.... thus flooding my engine with gas... causing it to die at the stoplight.... and putting fuel all over my intake manifold.....

but it was
slammed67 and rotadyne
who helped me fix the problem.....

a few taps at on the carb at the intake point of the fuel line, and it fired right up.... and i drove it home!!! woohooo!!!!

i still need to check the oil to make sure no gas went into the crank case.... thats simple.... and i plan to try and rebuilt that carb this weekend.... also a simple job -- done it before! wow! this board is the best!!!!

thanks so much to everyone!!!
this thread is finished!!!
WOOHOOO!!!!

jewels.

---> jewels is seen leaving with a huge smile on her face!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:18 AM   #23
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

We're glad we could help! I must give most of the credit to Rotadyne. He's the man!
Old 11-18-2003, 11:56 AM   #24
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Talking

Well, after Jewels got her truck running and back to her apartment, she insisted on coming over to my house to meet Dave (rotadyne) and I and to say thanks in person. She also offered to bring a case of beer, but I told her that wasn't necessary (what was I thinking!!!???.......j/k). So she got to my place around 11:30 (I think) and we stood around a B.S.'d for about an hour or so and talked trucks, chicken farms, and trailer parks (you had to be there)

Anyway...... Jewels, it was nice to meet you and we're glad you got your truck running.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #25
rambler
MOVE OVER

I leave the board early, and miss all the action. Jewels, I'm glad you got it running, I was stuck in the Grandview Triangle at that time, and live south of town, if you didn't get it towed or fixed last night, I'm sure I could have helped today... I think all of us KC people on the board need to plan a quick meet, just to shake hands and exchange phone numbers, that way if we get stuck we can always call a fellow truck lover! If I can, I will always try to give a hand, this is a great board, and I've learned a lot! again welcome to KC!!!!