The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
erikh09

Composite decking for bed

Hi all, I am sure this topic has been discussed and likely beaten to death, but has anyone used composite decking in place of bed wood? I am starting from scratch by ordering a completely new bed and would like to use composite. Does anyone have pics, dimensions, horror stories? Does it mount same way natural wood bed strips do? I presume I need to order the front panel for a wood bed and wood bed cross sills? Thank you for any help and advice!!
erikh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
dagnabbitt

Re: Composite decking for bed

I fully intend to do the same thing, looking forward to getting to that stage of my build. I mentioned it to a friend of mine and he reminded me to have a good heat shield underneath for the mufflers, though.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Overdriven

Re: Composite decking for bed

I hate to be one of those guys that say “use the search function” but I got these 2 links near the top of the search using “composite bed floor” as my search terms. Might want to vary the search terms a little. Yes you will need a front panel and the cross pieces meant for a wood floor if you want it to appear factory. The catalogs (like LMC) do a pretty good job showing the differences between wood and steel bed floor components. The links provide some more details on mounting and any issues encountered. Thickness is apparantly a potential issue depending on the material and your tools/abilities.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...site+bed+floor

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...site+bed+floor
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote