The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
RJBEATS95

Question Looking for some part advice

Hello, I am new to this forum and was wondering if I could get some insight. I bought a 1970 Chevy C-20 Pickup not too long ago and took it down to the shop to replace a cracked windshield. When the windshield came off, the mechanic found a bunch of rust on what I think is referred to as the A pillar, the pillar that makes contact between the cowl and the roof and also makes contact with the windshield. I have already contacted LMC and another local Chevy parts dealer and they both said that they didn't have the piece I was looking for. I was wondering if you guys knew of any places that I could find the part I was looking for.

Thank you
-RJ
RJBEATS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Looking for some part advice

-
OK, the last time I tried this I stuck my foot in my mouth. Evidently I don’t mind the taste of rotten socks cuz I’m going to try it again….

To the best of my knowledge that part is not reproduced. If I’m right this time, your only options are salvage yard or the parts board on here. You can’t post a Want To Buy on here unless you are a Premium member but if you see someone parting out a cab you can buy the parts you need..

Oh, and welcome to the board!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
RJBEATS95

Thank you LockDoc for getting back to me so quickly, unfortunately I'm also finding that they don't reproduce the pillar I am looking for. Thanks again for the help though!
RJBEATS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
sick472

There are a couple threads around here somewhere that talk about fixing this issue. Typically the rust is hidden by the windshield rubber or worse and can be cut out and replaced with strips of similar gauge steel. Here is one that I found rather quickly...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=382318

and another...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=448133

I'm sure there are more threads dealing with these rust areas. That's one of the more common places for these trucks to rust, especially as they get older and more of them are drug out of the woods and ditches.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBEATS95 View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and was wondering if I could get some insight. I bought a 1970 Chevy C-20 Pickup not too long ago and took it down to the shop to replace a cracked windshield. When the windshield came off, the mechanic found a bunch of rust on what I think is referred to as the A pillar, the pillar that makes contact between the cowl and the roof and also makes contact with the windshield. I have already contacted LMC and another local Chevy parts dealer and they both said that they didn't have the piece I was looking for. I was wondering if you guys knew of any places that I could find the part I was looking for.

Thank you
-RJ
Call Chuck Hutchinson (I'm not him...) at Truck Haven in Unionville TN. He has dozens of these trucks, and I would be amazed if he did not have a cab he is either in the process of parting out, or that he could part out.

Chuck is a good guy. You can use my name when you call, ( I wasn't smart enough not to list it when I joined the forum) and tell him I told you to call. I am certain he will at least try to help you out. Chuck deals in both new and used parts. I have purchased/traded a LOT with him over the last couple of years, he's always been very fair with me. You can call him at 931-205-5926.

Good Luck!!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote