The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
External

Getting started bringing my truck back to life.

Hey everyone. I now own a 72 chevy custom deluxe.
I'm super excited about ownership and the task of making this truck my own.
It's a 350, now with a 200 trans, ps/pb. Needs air! The truck went through these upgrades before I got it, most of which happened in 2011 when the PO gave it to his 16yo daughter. Wow huh? She grew up and now its mine. Since I got it, I've changed the spark plugs and wires. I got a rebuilt qjet, the same model that was on it. Replaced all the hoses and belts. Valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket. And ran enough fuel cleaner through the old carb to knock the crud out of the tank and lines. But...
She doesn't perform like she should. There is a miss or a lack of power, kinda like a studder when accelerating quickly. This is the issue I'd like to ask for help with.
The very next thing I plan on doing is a compression test. Which I hope wont aggravate my wallet.
I have not messed with the timing. Nor do I have any knowledge about it. She starts right up, and idles fine after warming up. Doesn't run hot, and doesn't die, after I found that spring on the carb that was on backwards!
Anyways, I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
External

Re: Getting started bringing my truck back to life.

More pics.
I'm going to make this my daily driver once it gets to that place its reliable and safe.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
flashed

Wow ,that is a nice one .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Nice rig! Maybe you can find someone local who can help you with some final touches. What spring was installed backwards in the carburetor?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
External

Throttle return spring. I think that's what its called. It was hanging up with the TV cable. I think it was keeping it from shifting back to 1st. Stalled out taking off from a stop unless you gassed it good.
And thanks guys. My wife and I are super excited.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
truckster

If you stomp on the gas, does it go flat and then accelerate? If you, you may have a bad accelerator pump.

To check the accelerator pump, remove the air cleaner with the engine off. Look down the primary bores of the carb while you work the throttle. You should see two squirts of gas, one in each primary.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
External

Just got the new old carb from guaranteedcarbuetor.com last week. I'd hate to think that is the case. But to answer your question I'll have to test drive it tomorrow. Come to think of it I haven't stomped it yet. Damn. I must be old.
It will accelerate if you ease into it just fine. When you gas it good it does bog down, or falter, not quiet fall flat. Hesitates then picks up. But it does not act like I remember a 350 should act.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
Coley

Smile Re: Getting started bringing my truck back to life.

Not sure if this is your first major post...but welcome and that is one nice looking truck...and it appears to be a Highlander! nicely done.

As for getting it dialed in:
1) Very good idea about starting with a compression test...this will allow you to zero in on everything else. Look for the cylinders to be even (or close) across all of them. If they are all near 150 psi...you are in great shape...if they are near 130 psi...you have some age on the motor but it should still run well. If they are over 150 psi...you don't have a stock engine internally....in all likelihood.
2) Next up, i would seriously check the timing...you will have to get a timing light and get up on this and remember...this task ALWAYS comes before attempting to set up and troubleshoot the carburetor....ALWAYS.
(a lot of guys get that backwards).
3) Absolute top to bottom, front to back check for vacuum leaks, missing vacuum hoses, orifices, cracked hoses or bad vacuum hose ends.
Or just spend $30 and get enough feet of various vacuum line to run all new lines. Vacuum leaks will kill a tune up in a serious hurry. Take a few short 1" long samples down to your local Napa or equivalent and he can fix you up.
Don't forget about checking the power brake (big) vacuum line...or if the power brake booster is itself leaking...again, that will kill your tune and your power.
4) ....pulling up the last of the tasks, will be the carb and how to set that up, what to check etc.

All good and keep us posted on the progress.....oh, and don't forget the underhood pics !

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
External

Ok, did the accelerator check. Two beautiful streams of fuel!

Thank both of you guys for your help and attention.

I did replace all the vacuum lines. EXCEPT that big ole brake booster one. It looks good, all except the little plastic check valve. I will replace it asap.
How do I check the booster itself for a vacuum leak?
The carb I just got was sold to me with lifetime guarantee and the old guy swore to me it's just set it on and adjust the idle screw. Seems like they told the truth. I saw noticable improvements after the install, and the plugs and wires.

I'll get that timing light, and do the compression check. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 AM   #10
dfwright

Can't help with the engine problems, but I sure like your truck. The body looks like it is in great condition.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
External

Thanks bud! Yours looks just the same! Mine was built in Kentucky, sold in Tennessee. Got the plate and original sales papers. I really like the green. The PO had it repainted with a little pearl in the white.
God was very nice to me letting me have this beauty. The best part, my wife likes it just as much. Makes fixing it up, way easier!!