The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Question What Happened to my Headlights???

I was driving home tonite and my headlights worked just fine and have been. Now I go out to take off and they are not working. They don't come on and now the the high beam light is on too, what the f$%k? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Ron
Old 11-19-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

sometimes the headlites on my truck wont come on unless i jiggle the knob, I think the switch is going out. Im not shur what could cause the hibeams to come on by themselves.
GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
frogsmakr

theres a recent post about lites. Seems the dimmer switch......on the floor.....is usually to blame.
frogsmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:56 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Yup, dimmer switch gets lots of mud and water on them over the years. Try kicking it from the side.
Next time you get a chance (or if kicking it don't work) then pull back the carpet and unplug the wires. You'll see whats up as soon as you look at the pathetic connection.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
cheatham
I need a brake!

Dimmer switch, dimmer switch, dimmer switch....:p
cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:54 AM   #6
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Thanks all, I will have to take a look at the dimmer switch. I tried to push it on/off but it didn't do anything. I'll let ya know if that was the problem.

thanks again.

P.S. what would I do without this board.....

Someone remind me how to contribute and post an avatar. I don't have a pic picked out yet, but need to know how to post it would help.

Last edited by OldSkool71; 11-20-2003 at 01:56 AM.
OldSkool71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:19 AM   #7
jimfulco

About 15 years ago I had a dimmer switch that refused to click on & off. I bent the little red tube from a can of WD-40 & sprayed underneath the "cap" of the switch with Break-Free CLP. It started working again & it still works now.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Ok, so I tried wacking the dimmer switch nada. I also unpluged it and tried a jumper wire still no headlight. Like I said when the headlight switch is pulled out in the on position for the headlights im getting no headlights and the highbeam indicatior light is now on. When I did unplug the dimmer switch the highbeam indicator light does go off but comes back on with I plug it in again. Does it sound the the headlight switch itself could be to blame? Not sure where to go from here...
Old 11-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #9
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

sounds like a switch, and if you need send me a picture and I will convert it to the correct size for an avatar.

Shawn
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
bpmcgee

The high beam indicator being on sounds to me like a ground problem. But the other symptoms don't support that.

Have you checked out any voltages? Check for power at the fuse box, at the switch, at the headlight, etc.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:58 PM   #11
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Your not gonna believe this or maybe you will. I just went out and plugged the dimmer switch back in. I also wiggled the headlight plug to the headlight on the drivers side. Can't really get to the passenger side. Anyway I pull the headlight switch and the lights come on and the dimmer switch seems to be working properly as well. I love old junk. I must say when I bought this truck I did notice that the passenger side headlight is not as bright as the drivers side. I think there may be a ground problem there but not sure as was getting to that. What do you think and what should I check out?
Old 11-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #12
bpmcgee

Ground problems always cause weird things. When I bought my truck I went through all the ground lugs. I took them off, cleaned around the hole, and re-installed them with dielectric grease to combat corrosion. Everything works great now!

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #13
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

well I got to the headlight plug on the passenger side and it just seemed to be a bad connections cuz i moved it and the light got brighter. Now everything seems to be back to normal, so far.. . I want to thank everyone who posted responses and appreciate all the input. I will be posting more soon of course.

thanks again...
Old 11-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #14
Denny

I have used Corrosion X for years and it keeps headlight plugs and trailor wiring from corrosion. Its great on any type wire connectors. We used it at Southwestern Bell Telephone company on terminal lugs to prevent corrosion.

http://www.corrosionx.com/
1969 Chevy C10. Dakota Digital Gauges, 383 Votex Engine, MSD 8361 Distributor, MSD 6A Unit, Demon Carb, Phoenix Transmission 4L80E trans, 3:73 Posi Rear End
Early Classics 6 Lug Disc Brakes and Spindles
All Stainless Lines
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote