The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
bhap

Help with 62 Upper steering bearing

I have a 62 C10 that I believe has an original steering column. It has all of the 62 turn signal pieces and a "custom" steering wheel. I am trying to replace the upper column bearing / horn contact and so far have purchased three - 1 "NOS" (which had a diameter too big for the column) and 2 from parts houses that were confident they were sending me the right part. Both of the bearings I received had a smaller horn contact surface with ribber on either side of the ring but more importantly, both were too "shallow". When installed, the new bearings did not allow the turn signal cancel cam to sit far enough down into the bearing to allow the nut to go on the steering wheel. One thought was to see if I could press the inner bearing race down into the bearing further, but I'm afraid that will ruin the new bearing. Any help is appreciated. I'll try to attach a couple of pics that show the bearing sitting on the cancel cam. The new bearing shows a much bigger gap to the cancel cam.

Thanks for any help

Bob
Attached Images

Last edited by bhap; 01-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote