The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #1
maineiac

Blown Tranny

Well I had an interesting day was just runnning along after just rebuilding my carb that had been giving me fits and stepped down on the throttle and bam loud bang from the tranny and then nothing but whining (both from me and the tranny) lost all forward gears and had to back it home. IT is a or was a 700r4 early model ( i know no good to start with but that is what it had in it when I got her) OK on to my question can I replace her with a turbo 350 with out changing the drive shaft ? Also if I stick with the 700 r is there another year that I can go to with out the computer control stuff being a problem?

THanks in advance

Steve
maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
86SILVERADO

I HAVE SWAPPED THE 700 OUT OF MY 86 WITH A 350 WITH NO PROBLEMS I DID HAVE TO SLIDE THE CROSSMEMBER FORWARD SOME. YOU JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT OVERDRIVE IS DRIVE AND DRIVE IS TWO AND TWO IS ONE ON THE COLUMN. IT DOES TAKE A LITTLE GETTING USED TO.
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 11:13 PM   #3
Mike76251

That happened to me a few years ago in my '84........and man it pissed me off considering the truck got top maint. and never hauled anything in the bed.
It cost me $1142 to upgrade and rebuild the piece of chit.

One thing comes to mind from your post.........you were messing with the carb before it blew..........did you happen to mess with the trans. cable at all?
It doesn't take much to screw this up and that raises line pressure which will blow a 700R4 in no time.

Whatever you do good luck BTW
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:41 AM   #4
maineiac

Yep I was messing with it but changed right back after a mile or 2 and I suppose if it was weak to start with could have done it in. I am seriously thinking of going to a turbo 350 alot cheaper and I do mostly around town driving so don't think the milage would kill me just hoping someone else here has done it and can give me some things to look out for like diferent shafts and things like that.

Later
Steve
maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote