The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
tbrown5079

Leak at power steering box adjuster

Like a lot of others on here I used the GM F-body steering ( 81 El Camino ) on my project and I am very happy with it. That being said, After adjusting the box for free play a couple of times, I have a leak there. Yesterday I took the jam nut off and put a brass washer under it and tightened it down pretty good. Still have a leak. I did notice the jam nut has like a rubber seal on top. Should this be changed after an adjustment? I would't think there is much pressure there, but something is going on. Anyone else experience this and what was the fix?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Leak at power steering box adjuster

I'd say you may have hit on it but I have no idea if that nut is available. These days it doubtful that the local GM dealers even list any parts for that year model and the last that style box would have come in the last of those F bodies before most all of the cars went to rack and pinion.

Still it might be worth a trip to the local Chevy dealer's parts counter to see if they show it in the parts listings.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
bowt1ed

Napa.
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
tbrown5079

Thanks for the good advice guys, that is the route I will go. Also talked to a guy that has washers with a rubber center that may help also. He suggested putting gasket sealant on the threads when they were dry also. Thanks for the help. Tbrown
Old 02-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
dsraven

the nut in question may simply be an nylock style lock nut. some of these boxes did have an O ring under the nut, check to see if there is a space machined into the box cap or under side of the nut that would accommodate an o ring. a rubber/neoprene coated oil pan washer may work, the issue would be to tighten it down strong enough so the thing will seal without distorting the washer so much it then tears, or the nut is not tight enough to keep tension and may come loose. a copper washer may be the easiest solution but also may distort with the nut torqueing down on it.
check to ensure the top section of the box cap is not distorted or galled from the lock nut being torqued up a few different times during adjustments over the years. also check for box or shaft wear which could make the nut area leak. a cracked box cap, etc.
not sure if you know but any steering box is made to have the gear lash tighter in the middle of it's travel, lock to lock, so ensure the box adjustment is done when the box is centered so the gears don't get too tight, like would potentially happen should the lash be adjusted when the box is not centered. the tight lash at midpoint is so the steering wheel has less movement when driving straight ahead, then is easier to turn and return when off center.

maybe this will help
http://www.steerco.com/v/webtech/Ste...Adjustment.pdf
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
tbrown5079

All good information, thanks. I agree that it is a regular fine threaded nut with the nylock top, but it is left handed thread, which may be a little more difficult to find. The washer with the rubber center is probably what I'll try first. Thanks again, Tbrown