The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
brown7373

Intake Manifold Bolts V8 with A/C

I am dealing with coolant leaks from my intake bolts. Intake was installed while on the engine stand, but certain bolts need to be removed and reinstalled to allow installation of front A/C bracket and spark wire looms ( I could have installed the looms, but not the A/C bracket on the stand).

Of my original bolts, 2 are stud tops. One is on the left side and attached the oil fill tube support. The 2nd is currently doing nothing, but I suspect it should be the first bolt on the right, which would allow my to install the front A/C bracket without having to remove the bolt.

Can anyone with a factory A/C truck confirm the location of the 2 stud top bolts. And are there only 2 stud top bolts or am I missing some?

Installing bolts then removing them probably resulted in not getting the bolts properly sealed. My screw up!
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Intake Manifold Bolts V8 with A/C

I likely steered you wrong!
Seems that a/c bracket doesn’t need step studs.
There’s some pics in here to confirm that.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=636927
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
brown7373

That was my question, because you install and torque all the bolts with engine on a stand, then you have to remove the 1st on the right to install the A/C bracket. Since I have an unused stud in my original bolts, I was questioning if that was supposed to be on #1 on the right, allowing installation of A/C bracket without having to remove the bolt. Mine was not when I bought the truck, and is not now, but why an unused stud? Would Chevy put an unused stud in the bolt package?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
That was my question, because you install and torque all the bolts with engine on a stand, then you have to remove the 1st on the right to install the A/C bracket. Since I have an unused stud in my original bolts, I was questioning if that was supposed to be on #1 on the right, allowing installation of A/C bracket without having to remove the bolt. Mine was not when I bought the truck, and is not now, but why an unused stud? Would Chevy put an unused stud in the bolt package?
What engine & year?

Here's a 71 BBC. The front LH hole takes a stud for the alt. bracket. I believe that's a 68-71 configuration, 72 uses different alt. brackets. The 2nd & 4th bolt holes on the RH side are for the A/C bracket. The bolts are 1.25" long, but the A/C bracket takes 1.75" bolts and use lock washers.

If you remove bolts then you want to reseal the threads. It helps to know how they were torqued to begin with. Again, I don't know what engine/year, but the bracket and stud on the 71 402 can be installed with the intake. The RH valve cover slides in no problem, and a nut secures the alt. bracket to the stud.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
brown7373

The SB alternator bracket attaches to the left head. I'm 99% convinced that the 2nd stud goes in the first hole on the right side to attached the A/C bracket to the stud. Why Chevy doesn't show that in the assembly manual I don't know. I have never seen or read about it in either the Assembly or Service Manual.