The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
57rookie

Bleeding brakes - one issue.....

So when I bled my brakes this summer after installing a new power brake booster setup i started with the RH rear wheel end I could not get the fluid to bleed out with many pedal pumps. All other locations seemed to work ok.
What do you guys think - would there be a blockage at the tee block on top of the difff or maybe in the brake line and if so how best to clear the blockage....
It seems as if the booster has not performed well in my opinion even after changing the front disk brake pads....
One thing i did not do is bench Bleed the master cylinder with the kit provided by CPP (Classic Performance Products ) as i thought that I could get the air from the small lines that come out of the master cylinder reservoir out by bleeding at the wheel end. Was this a big mistake????
Looking or opinions. It feels like a hard pedal with poor braking performance is the best way to describe it.
57rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
hjewell2

Re: Bleeding brakes - one issue.....

I would like to know as well,, I have a 1980 Malibu giving exact same results and can not get it to stop correctly.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Rickysnickers

I don't know which master cylinder you purchased from them, but you probably should have done the bench bleed on it. Here's an article from CPP's library.

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...er%2005-14.pdf
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Jason Banks

Have you changed the rubber line in the rear? I know you said only one side of the rear didn't bleed well, but mine did something similar and changing the rubber line fixed it. I did also remove the T and cleaned it up, so it may have been blocked.

I ended up needing to use a propane torch on the fittings to break them free.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
tdangle

It could be crud blocking the fitting at the wheel cylinder. I had to rebuild one due to the same thing. No fluid would come out even when removing the bleeder fitting.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
rcazwillis

If the left rear bleeds as expected, the issue is from the T fitting to the wheel cylinder. I would take the line loose from the T to see if I could get fluid there. Then from the wheel cylinder. If you have fluid to the cylinder, may need a replacement cylinder. The issue would not be the master cylinder if all else is bleed.

The perceived lack of performance from the booster may very well be air in that right rear line compressing and taking away from the pressure to the other wheels.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
TruDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
It could be crud blocking the fitting at the wheel cylinder. I had to rebuild one due to the same thing. No fluid would come out even when removing the bleeder fitting.
i had this too on a new disc brake cylinder though. the new paint covered/sealed the bleeder hole. stabbed a screw driver through it and all good.
that was a pain in the ass to find.

i'd pull the brake line off that wheel cylinder and see it if comes out there. then work backward to your T fitting all the way to your master cylinder.
TruDom is offline   Reply With Quote