The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Bpilcher72

Hydroboost Pushrod Removal

Does anybody on here know how to remove the pressed in hydroboost pushrod? I purchased a new GM Unit and want to install an adjustable shaft with a clevis on the end. I have heard rumor of a Kent Moore tool that is used to pull the pushrod out of the socket. Anybody on here have experience with that?
Bpilcher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Chris_oz

Re: Hydroboost Pushrod Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpilcher72 View Post
Does anybody on here know how to remove the pressed in hydroboost pushrod? I purchased a new GM Unit and want to install an adjustable shaft with a clevis on the end. I have heard rumor of a Kent Moore tool that is used to pull the pushrod out of the socket. Anybody on here have experience with that?
From memory the push rod is held in with a "stake" into an thin walled retainer.
I had to make a shorter one for my application (Cadillac).

I am sure I put a sleeve over the rod, clamped the rod with vice grips and used a pair of pry bars to pop it out. It came out very easy too.

I just made a new one from a 3/8 grade 8 bolt, threading the clevis on the thread and machining a new ball in the lathe.

Works perfect

Good luck.
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
Bpilcher72

so you are not just prizing on the shaft you have to remove a retainer pin also?
Bpilcher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Chris_oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpilcher72 View Post
so you are not just prizing on the shaft you have to remove a retainer pin also?
Mine didn't have a retainer pin, Just a ball on the end of the shaft in a matching socket and a swagged in crimp just above to retain it.

The crimp is only required for assembly, once installed the the rod is going nowhere if the lengths are all correct.
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
clay68c10

The version I have isn't swedged in but has a retaining ring made of some kind of hard-core semi flexible nuke proof death plastic.
I put the unit in a vise and used a very long 3/8 extension thru the ring and plenty of a$$ to pop it out. Very scientific. Make sure you are getting a nice straight pull inline with the rod or you will get a hernia and it won't come loose and you will want to smash things with a big hammer.
Have fun.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote