The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2019, 01:42 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

WTB - Set of nice OEM rear sport bumper brackets

Found OEM coil spring bumper brackets. I'm still looking for an OEM set off a 2WD, SWB with leaf springs, but there's another thread for them.........Thank you

Working on a 71 C-10 and looking for a nice set of OEM rear sport bumper brackets. It's a 2WD, SWB with leaf springs, but there are some misconceptions about spring type and the brackets required.

I'm looking for what many call "coil spring" brackets If they come off a SWB with leaf springs even better. I ask that any damage and pitting be negligible. I'd be interested in the bolt pattern as well. Should be somewhere between 5" to 5.3/10". Not sure why the difference yet, pending..

I only need the inner brackets, but if it means a full set that works.

Thanks
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-13-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Removed image
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
painterljp

Re: WTB - Set of nice OEM rear sport bumper brackets

I have 1 inner bracket like your first picture. And two outer brackets. Not a complete set missing 1 inner bracket believe one I am missing is drivers side inner. Can send pictures if your interested. Will take 50$ (what I paid for them) for 3 brackets. Thanks.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterljp View Post
I have 1 inner bracket like your first picture. And two outer brackets. Not a complete set missing 1 inner bracket believe one I am missing is drivers side inner. Can send pictures if your interested. Will take 50$ (what I paid for them) for 3 brackets. Thanks.
Thanks for that, I'll keep in mind. Thing is they generally come in sets, sometimes pairs. This is my 3rd attempt at inner brackets, as it is I've got two sets of outer brackets.

If you think about it, appreciate if you could measure the bolt pattern. Seems it should be the 1st & 4th hole in the bracket from the rear, confusion being they're mounted on oneusing the 1st and 3rd, unconfirmed. Do you know what model, base and spring type they came from?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 03-11-2019, 01:58 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I can be patient.....Ha, last thing I'll do on this build. In hindsight I'd have worked this one out before the frame was finished.

Did some homework today. According to the parts book the SWB, 2WD with leaf springs is an animal of it's own. In other terms, they don't make the brackets for my truck.

Kicker is even the outer bracket is supposed to be different. But just to confuse things, the part number for the outer bracket is commonly used to sell repops. I'm looking into it. I have two sets outer brackets and near as I can tell they both clear. Word is all outer brackets are the same.

I can have the inner "coil spring" bracket fabricated, but.......Premium for sport bumper brackets off a 2WD SWB leaf spring truck. SWB GMC anyone?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
painterljp

Will get a measurement today for you. Wound up getting a set of aftermarket ones and they fit just fine on a leaf spring gmc truck. Ours is a longhorn but they fit on a regular longbed also. Dont forget the gravel guards that bolt to them also.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Will get a measurement today for you. Wound up getting a set of aftermarket ones and they fit just fine on a leaf spring gmc truck. Ours is a longhorn but they fit on a regular longbed also. Dont forget the gravel guards that bolt to them also.
Thank you, appreciate that. Not sure I'm going to install gravel guards.

At this point in my research it doesn't appear they don't sell a repop. bracket for my application. Is your GMC 4X4 a long bed? Be real interesting if it's a short bed. I suspect your brackets and frame are 5".

The parts list even suggest the outer brackets for my application differ. I'm trying to find out why.

Here's some info. on what I've learned so far. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783027
Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
painterljp

In your original post you said c-10. Mine are 2wd. Not 4x4. Both are GMC 's with leaf's. Aftermarket brackets fit fine. Have a shortbed as well but it has an iron bumper on it now and its coil. In paint jail so not at my house to see. Will get you a measurement tonight when I get off work.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
In your original post you said c-10. Mine are 2wd. Not 4x4. Both are GMC 's with leaf's. Aftermarket brackets fit fine. Have a shortbed as well but it has an iron bumper on it now and its coil. In paint jail so not at my house to see. Will get you a measurement tonight when I get off work.
Your after-market work because it's a LWB. They have a 5" bolt pattern. Mine is 5.3/10" because it's a short bed with leaf springs. It's necessary due to the shackle bracket and the length of the frame.

The coil spring brackets probably work, but I believe you have to use the existing front hole in the bracket, not the rear. Counter-intuitive. In other terms, weld up two holes, and punch new holes in both brackets for the rear.

If the existing rear holes in the brackets are used, then the bumper mounts approx. 1/2" (or .3/10"?) further back than specs. That and placement on the frame is less than desirable. Reason being the rear hole in my frame is 8/10" from the rear. Most other frames it's closer to 1.3/8". That's why the outer brackets for my application are different as well. My truck is 2WD. Didn't mean to confuse.

Still looking for OEM "coil spring" brackets. Bet you find a 5" bolt pattern. But OEM 2WD, SWB leaf spring brackets would be dynamite.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-12-2019 at 12:59 AM.