The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
49or50Shep

Chassis Engineering IFS

Hi, has anyone driven a truck with a bolt on Chassis Engineering IFS? I searched and found some threads on the install, but the one guy I followed up with after his install said the ride wasn't that good. Anyone else drive or know of someone who has driven an AD with the bolt in Chassis Engineering IFS? Thank you, Jason
49or50Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Steel_valley

Re: Chassis Engineering IFS

I've never drove one, but I've read a lot of the ride comes from your coilovers not being adjusted correctly. Just what I've heard.
Steel_valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Rude Dude

Chassis Engineering has closed up shop. The bolt in IFS is based on Mustang 2 suspension so depends how soft a ride you want 4 cylinder springs to soft, the V6 springs are about right for AD Trucks, A TF with a the bigger V8 springs will handle Big Block Chevy V8 with AC.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
49or50Shep

Thank you. I have been in contact with Chassis Engineering so they do seem to still be around but I think they were bought out by Heidts. Their website is still active and they are responding. Scotts hot rods seems to get some better reviews but again it is hard to find people who have actually installed and driven the truck with these bolt in IFS systems.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
Rude Dude

No Heidts did not buy them out. If your looking for a bolt in IFS the same set up is offered by speedway motors my brother installed one recently. He is happy with the ride. Just remember these frames are over 60 years old not straight so sometimes they will need a big sledge hammer to straighten areas that require bolts to got thru. Good Luck
Old 03-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Rude Dude

My mistake I guess they did by them out sorry!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
49or50Shep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
My mistake I guess they did by them out sorry!
No problem. I think it was recent. I want to keep stock ride height so that limits my options. I wonder if the speedway crossmember is the same unit as the chassis engineering one, just sold under different names. That is good information about your brother. Before dropping so much cash its nice to find someone who as actually driven it.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
dsraven

like with any IFS suspension ask the big questions up front to eliminate the ones you DONT want.
tubular control arm specs. tubing wall thickness and material
manufacturer of the suspension parts used, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack etc
-suspension replacement parts common at the local parts store? ball joints from XXX. tie rods from XXX, control arm bushings are a common size with a common manufacturer, for example energy suspension number xxx. brake rotors from XXX, wheel bearings from XXX, brake pads from XXX.
-style and type of upper control arm retaining method. a lot of older or cheaper MII systems use the T bolts in a slot. some of the newer styles use a vertical plate welded on the frame with through bolts and a shim pack to get the upper control arm in the right place when doing camber adjustment. some will argue the T bolt style will move with a heavy truck going over a pothole.
-size of front brakes and quality of the pads. some rotors will be separate from the hub some will be old school and be a single unit with the hub.
-quality of the shock absorbers and sourced from XXX
-air bag or coil spring
-stabilizer bar style, strength and placement. also type of stabilizer bar link method, bolts and urethane bushings, rubber bushings or possibly heim joints
-some control arms are adjustable with a heim joint built in to the control arm. nice but still labour intensive to adjust plus the heim wears out faster than a urethane bushing possibly and also add to the weight possibly
-do they have good in depth instructions which are laid out in order of which job gets done first and which hardware to use for what etc. also outlining the frame prep, how to set rake angle, how to set the frame level
-is there knowledgable tech support from the manufacturer online (chat) or by phone.
-can you purchase direct or only through a local dealer (who may or may not be there in a year when you need him
-do they supply a drawing on request so you can check angles of how the unit should look at ride height. including alignment specs

anyway, just a few thoughts.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
49or50Shep

All good information, thank you. Sure is a lot less parts with my straight axle.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
jwhotrod

as to chassis engineering and Heidts they did buy out Chassis Engineering after the owner died. Heidts also owns Alston Chassis. Gary does not own Heidts anymore but they both are alive and well. Both companies are well respected and yes ride quality is very dependent on spring, shock and tire choice.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
49or50Shep

Thank you. I’m still debating whether or not I should make the jump to IFS or not. I’ve searched through this forum and stovebut but have not found someone who has installed the chassis engineering IFS, has it on the road, and likes its.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
Russell Ashley

Scotts Hot Rods sells an AD bolt in front suspension. I don't have an AD but one of the forum members here installed one and said it can be done in a weekend. I do have a Scotts bolt in setup in my TF but I might be the only one who has one.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
49or50Shep

Is it back on the road? Are you happy with the ride? Thank you
Old 03-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #14
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49or50Shep View Post
Is it back on the road? Are you happy with the ride? Thank you
Yes it's been back on the road for about five years now but it has sat a lot due to my cancer. The odometer doesn't move so don't know exactly, but it's probably got about a thousand miles on it now and it drives and rides good. It's a little rougher riding than I would prefer but I have not tried to adjust the coilovers to see if I can make any difference. I like the way it sits so don't want to change the front end height at all.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #15
49or50Shep

Oh, real sorry to hear that. All the best to you. I may just stick with the straight axle for a few years and see how bad the ride is.