The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
pitterpat

Radiator Mount, worth the time?

Went to the Upull it today to get a radiator mount I saw. I saw a rusted out mounting hole on mine and thought I would get the one I saw at the scrap yard. Got 95% of it unbolted and the 3/4" nuts and bolts to the donut support stymied me. I'm wondering if I really need that radiator mount especially with all the things I will have to take apart on my square?

Here are pics of MY radiator mount. The top 2 pics are of where my mount is rusted out (same spot just 2 different pics). The other 2 pics are of other rust on my radiator mount.

The one at the Upullit does look much better. It costs $21.99 + some core charge + some environ fee + tax, something like 31.25 total.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Radiator Mount, worth the time?

If you are planning on doing a make it look better restoration, a good core support is a good idea. Nothing says you have to install it now. Snag that one and wait until you have a good set of inner and outer fenders to go with it.

I grabbed a near pristine 80 core support because someone had stripped the front of everything but the core support and drivers fender. At some point, it will replace the original in my 75 that is suffering from battery acid rot and 2 right front collisions.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
If you are planning on doing a make it look better restoration, a good core support is a good idea. Nothing says you have to install it now. Snag that one and wait until you have a good set of inner and outer fenders to go with it.

I grabbed a near pristine 80 core support because someone had stripped the front of everything but the core support and drivers fender. At some point, it will replace the original in my 75 that is suffering from battery acid rot and 2 right front collisions.
Thanks, I snagged it today. Went back with a big piece of square pipe, too big but it did the job. Also snagged the right fender, my right fender is rotted up at the cab support area. Also snagged some hood hinges and the pockets too.

I got an inner fender yesterday but I'll have to do some work to it, it has a couple of rust spots. My old inner fender had rusted so much (from the antifreeze tank leaking on it) it wasn't attached and was rubbing the tire.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
sweetk30

i will take good gm oem stuff any day .

and if i needed to fix that tab i would have fabbed up a tab and welded it in place .

i have fixed way worse rust on them with parts from a doner gm unit .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
i will take good gm oem stuff any day .

and if i needed to fix that tab i would have fabbed up a tab and welded it in place .

i have fixed way worse rust on them with parts from a doner gm unit .
Yeah, this is OEM. I'm going to cut off the inner part of the fender and weld it to the inner of my fender. My fender is in much better condition overall than the fender I got at the Upullit.