The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
ccautoupholstery

Tie rod question

So I have a 67 long bed that I put disc brakes from a 71 on. I am waiting for my inner tie rods to show up to be able to finish and get an alignment. My question is how do I determine how to adjust them initially so I can drive to the shop a mile away. I wasn't sure that counting threads on my original tie rods would be right considering steering knuckle etc are different now
ccautoupholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: Tie rod question

I would measure it off the old one. measure to the middle which is usually where the grease fitting is.
If you really want to get get close, and actually perfect on the toe. pull strings on jack stands from front to back of wheels.
Space the string equally to the middle of rim front and back rims.
Then measure distance to string from front and back of the front rim. adjust tie rod sleeve until measurements are the same.
this is with the truck on the ground. I used pieces of laminate under tires so they would move when adjusting tie rod.
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

You can eye-ball the tires with the rear tires to get it close enough to drive a mile.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 AM   #4
p0508

If you measure your old ones good enough, and you had a decent alignment on it before, match up your new ones and save the cost of an alignment.

Or if you are really worried about it, there are TONS of ways to do an alignment in your garage, ranging from eyeballing it, to jackstands and string etc etc etc.

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-do-your-...d-t-1820555295

http://speed.academy/diy-wheel-align...ide-explained/

the list goes on, theres even tons of youtube videos on it.

If you are dead set on getting and alignment when you are done with your work, eyeball it and drive it down the road, you wont hurt anything.
p0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
rpmerf

Tape measure the front of the tires vs the back. Try to get it as even as possible. Move it back and forth a bit without touching the steering wheel after making adjustments
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
ccautoupholstery

Re: new Tie rod question

Just when I thought I was good...so I have everything together and for the outer tie rods to torque to spec it compresses the boot quite a bit and the threads are way past the hole for the cotter pin, and still loose. I have made sure they gave me the correct ones and contacted the guy I got the spindles/rotors etc and he verified they are from a 71...idk where to go from here? Are outer tie rods for a 73+ bigger?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
p0508

Yes. Outter tie rods for a 73-87 are larger.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #8
ccautoupholstery

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0508 View Post
Yes. Outter tie rods for a 73-87 are larger.
Same thread for adjusting sleeves?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #9
mr48chev

With the tires a few inches off the garage floor hold a pencil to the center of the tread with one hand (something to brace and steady your hand helps and spin the tire with te other hand to put a line all around the center of the tread. Do this on both tires. let the truck down bounce it a few times to settle the suspension and measure from line to line on the back side and from line to line on the front side and figure the difference. You want from 1/16 to 1/8 less on the front side for toe in. That is the most accurate way without alignment equipment as it compensates for any tire/wheel runout.

When I was doing front end alignment every day I would center the steering wheel fist before doing that and then if I needed to adjust the toe I would sight down the sides of both tires and do my adjustment on the side that was off the most. That kept the wheel centered and then I would drive it and make any adjustment to center the wheel perfectly.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #10
p0508

Everything is the same minus ball joint sizes. You probably have a 73-87 spindle and a 71 outer tie rod.