The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
stepn67

Cable Lube?

I just got a new pair of parking brake cables - My originals wre rusted solid. Do I need to lube the new cables before installing? Is there any lube which works best for cables?
stepn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
Sweet72

I would lubricate them with a product called Dri-Slide. Although I don't know who sells it . It's a Moly/Graphite based lube with corrosion inhibitors. It"s very thin like a solvent and dries out so it won't attract dust. This works well on spedo. cables too.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
cableguy0

the only way to stop parking brake cables from seizing up is to use them every now and again to keep them free.if anything sits in one place too long without moving it will bind or seize up. just put them in as they are and use the brake every once in a while. just dont forget the brake is on when u drive off
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The heater cables in my '68 were seized so bad the PO had broken off one of the levers.I removed them and used a rebuild kit from one of the vendors.While I had it apart I threw the old cables in the parts washer for the night.The next day I could move them a little by working tham in a vise.I tossed them in a drain pan of used oil and forgot about them for a couple of days.They've been back in the truck for 5 years without a problem.I use them frquently whether I need to or not.I also lubed them with a product called "Lock Ease" a moly-graphite type.I lube them at least once a year and they work great.
Use 'em and lube 'em.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
bluec10

Back on the farm we used to soak rusted items in diesel fuel to loosen them up. I bet this would work for parking brake cables, although I have yet to try mine.

By the way - where is a good place to buy parking brake cables?
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:41 AM   #6
Hooter
My other Love

I have used, lithium grease on mine and never seize on the adjusting bolt, and it has never siezed on me in 6 years now

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:27 AM   #7
RED71CHEVY

you can get them new ones at NAPA and the cables are plastic coated and the sheath is a solid, very nice part.
'71 CUSTOM C-10 torch red ,350 roller GM crate,3.73 GEARS, REAR 4"DROP SPRING, FRONT 2.5" DROP SPINDLE-1.5"lower spring, FRONT=17x8(4.5bs) W/265-60-17, BACK=17x9.5 (5bs)W/285-60-17, Vintage Air Sure Fit AC------NEVER ENDING PROJECT!!
RED71CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote