The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
Abomb

Quick question about changing front coils

I’ve watched a couple of videos, as I’ve never done this before, and they always pop the upper ball joint loose, after tying up the calipers. I have drum brakes, why not just pop the bottom ball joint and drop the lower arm? That way I don’t have to remove the brake hose from the wheel cylinder, leading to rebleeding the brakes...I haven’t even removed a wheel yet to start this project, still waiting on my rear spring retainers in the mail...so let me know if there’s a reason not too...

Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 AM   #2
junkman

Re: Quick question about changing front coils

I've always done it by popping the lower balljoint and tie rod loose, bottom shock bolt, sway bar if has one, push the control arm down and pop the spring out. I don't think I've ever done a drum tuck, but several disc trucks and not taken the caliper off. I just had my front springs in and out about 5 times a week ago cutting them to get the right height.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
saxart

I just replaced the springs on the front of my drum brake truck and did it by popping the upper ball joint and was able to leave the brakes connected. It was a tight fit, but the brake lines were just long enough to sneak the new (standard height) spring back in and get everything put back together.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
6T7 C10

I have done it that way too but the last couple of times I did it by lifting the front end with a jack a few inches and put stands under the frame. Then I used a floor jack under the lower control arm shaft and removed the two u-bolts then carefully lowered the floor jack till the spring was loose. Replace the spring and jack up the lower control arm shaft into position and reinstall bolts. I liked it better than separating ball joints.
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
Abomb

I didn’t have a lot of time this evening, so I thought I’d at least drop by my little workshop and get the truck up on jack stands, and the wheels off...and then I saw that the previous owner not only dropped the lower arm, he didn’t replace the cotter pins in the ball joints...well, this shouldn’t come apart to hard, let’s just see. I told my wife I’d be home in plenty of time for supper, so I only did one...

Here’s the coil I removed next to a 3” drop coil...
It’s definitely going to sit higher, but that’s okay, as long as it rides better, and drives okay...Wait until you guys see the rear springs...the previous owner actually cut them off at the bottom and used a piece of metal strap to hold them down to the arm...even though people recommend against 3/5 drops using springs only, I’ll bet this truck rides like a Cadillac compared to how it was. It is also getting new KYB shocks while I’m doing this...

Last edited by Abomb; 04-07-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T7 C10 View Post
I have done it that way too but the last couple of times I did it by lifting the front end with a jack a few inches and put stands under the frame. Then I used a floor jack under the lower control arm shaft and removed the two u-bolts then carefully lowered the floor jack till the spring was loose. Replace the spring and jack up the lower control arm shaft into position and reinstall bolts. I liked it better than separating ball joints.
This is a really good idea!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
Abomb

I got the 3 / 5” coils installed...I’m sure it’ll settle a bit, but it doesn’t look too bad...it was definitely time to do it, one rear spring came out in two pieces, and both rear upper spring retainers were just about rusted through,, and had to be cut out.

Last edited by Abomb; 04-09-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
northerngmc

So did you remove the lower balljoint in the front?

I tried that on my 68 C20 with drum brakes and the it would not clear the brake drum backing plate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Abomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngmc View Post
So did you remove the lower balljoint in the front?

I tried that on my 68 C20 with drum brakes and the it would not clear the brake drum backing plate.
Yes, I removed the lower ball joint nut, and dropped the arm. I'm not sure what you are saying wouldn't clear the backing plate, once the ball joint is popped loose, you can swing the entire hub / drum / backing plate assembly up and out of the way a bit.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
northerngmc

On my C20 the backing plate for the drum brake is dished out where the ball joint sits. When I removed the nut from the ball joint and managed to get the ball joint to split the end of the control arm hit on the drum brake backing plate. I could not pull the hub any further out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Abomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngmc View Post
On my C20 the backing plate for the drum brake is dished out where the ball joint sits. When I removed the nut from the ball joint and managed to get the ball joint to split the end of the control arm hit on the drum brake backing plate. I could not pull the hub any further out.
Huh, must be a difference between c10 and c20 then...I did not have any clearance issues, as the ball joint dropped through the spindle, it did have to tip inward a bit, which allowed the spindle and hub to be pulled outward