The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

60 burb fuel tank replacement

Since buying this truck over 2 years ago I new the day would come I'd have to replace the fuel tank. At first all my searches led to a 70 blazer tank., so I ordered one and have been sitting on it since.

Well the time has come I had to do the swap. I dropped the old tank, not crazy about the fab required tip hey the blazer tank installed and I have a 5" static drop, so it would hang down too low as well. Through a FB group, I came across a guy saying a 37 Chevy poly tank from tanks inc, fits almost perfectly. The issue is the filler neck is forward on the tank. I determined with factory shock mounts that won't work for me. He had relocated his mounts forward of axle. So the search continued......

I finally did some measuring and lots of looking at tanks online and found the 38-39 Chevy tank from tanks, inc is about a perfect fit. I ordered the tank, straps, T bolts and a universal sending unit. The tank is only 7-1/2" tall so it tucks up nicely... it could easily sit higher up than I have it but filler neck would have to be done differently.

The tank rests nicely on the rear crossmember and slightly on the front frame rail. I plan to weld a small piece of metal in to give it a little more 'lip' to catch on. I hope the pics I have so far explain that better.
Attached Images

MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote