The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Rooster73

intolerant late models

this must be a sign of the future. today i was in my way to the doctor sitting at a stop light, 2 cars up was a mid 70's c10. when light changed he didnt move. aparantly it died and took a bit to get started but he made the green. the honda pilot behind him instantly started honking. got me thinking, now i have a newer rig but also have an old one, to many drivers out there that are spoiled rotten and have never have driven anything old and have never broken down. if that honda driver ever had car trouble it would be a disaster. just griiping tonight.
Rooster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
71gmcC15

Re: intolerant late models

It's a handa. He won't have car trouble. But in all seriousness most people are tards when I comes to old cars and even new cars. I think that every one that drives should know how to do basic mantince. And understand how cars genraly work. But no. Let's let any dumby drive.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Barnfind46

This happened to me a few months ago. I put a new engine in my truck and was on a test drive. The carb was a little out of adjustment and died when I was making a left turn in the intersection. Two seconds after my truck stalls the 30 something in a nissan behind me lays on the horn. I'm trying to hear if the engine if starting back. They had no idea I was having an issue with the truck.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

My horn doesn't work. So I'm forced to seem more tolerant of other drivers. Many times I wish I had it, as often some Millennial goofball in a Civic or Prius misses the green turn arrow because he's too involved texting to look up.
Another gripe is front braking distance: My truck has drum brakes, it takes a longer distance to stop. Usually I have about 5 or 6 car lengths in front of me when coming down a long hill, so I can gear down and comfortably stop. Unless some co-ed thinks she'd look so much cuter cutting her Beemer, Audi, MBZ in the seemingly ''open'' lane in front of that grotty old truck.
The Other Guy. He's out there still.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:36 AM   #5
tj1970cst

I dont think my wife could drive my old pickup if she had to. It crossed my mind today. I messed with the fast idle cam and the choke on it and went for a test drive to the barber shop. It idled kinda low, hard to start, died once.
Just had to feather the gas pedal till I could get home to my screwdriver, since I didnt bring one. Not a big deal.
If everyone grew up doing things like that, maybe they would know a little more about how to drive safe?
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
burnin oil

TJ, I am about in the same boat. My wife will barely start my truck for me while I am out of town. Big cam and a holley with no choke. Runs like a scalded dog bouncing off the rev limiter but good luck down low, especially on a cold motor.

I remember taking my truck to work one morning and it died in traffic. I jumped out and popped the hood and had it fixed in under 3 seconds. Jumped back in the truck and refired it. About this time the **** behind me who had been laying on the horn decided to whip around me and almost caused an accident. At this point I felt obligeed to drop the clutch at 3k and dusted him. To bad for him since he missed his exit. Guess the duel straight pipes were not loud enough coming out of the tunnel for him to figure out that I was back up and running. Normally I am not that vindictive but if you have ever been to Norfolk Va then you know where it comes from as NYC is better to drive in.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

New or old makes no difference. People forget what they are driving is a machine that any number of components could fail on and render it immobile at any given moment. The car feels no responsibility in getting you to where you are going. All they know is "It's new" and hope it does what they paid for it to do. A good way to keep perspective is to remember "We all could be walking"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #8
rpmerf

I usually hit the flashers as soon as it dies so people don't think I'm texting. Certainly had it happen a couple times with the cars I've hobbled together and grabby clutches with a lightweight flywheel.

The braking distance drives be crazy. 2 car spaces seems to be the norm, even at 80 mph. In my truck, I stick to the middle or right line at about 65mph. Seems like there is always someone so close behind me, I can't see their bumper.

EFI has been a norm for about 34 years now. Crazy to think that there could be people out there, 50 years old, and never driven a carbureted vehicle.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
EFI has been a norm for about 34 years now. Crazy to think that there could be people out there, 50 years old, and never driven a carbureted vehicle.
I often think about those things also. I enjoy all the "quirks" our old rides have.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
palallin

I see plenty of late models stopped on the side of the road or blocking intersections because of breakdowns.

I believed that spoiled is the right word.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by palallin View Post
I see plenty of late models stopped on the side of the road or blocking intersections because of breakdowns.

I believed that spoiled is the right word.
Spoiled, jaded, entitled.............. and self-centered. You wouldn't think they could stop to offer to push you off the road or direct traffic, or just see if you need anything would you?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
davepl

I have a 1969 Camaro with an LS3 and a TKO600, in other words, modern reliable powertrain components. But I still didn't send it off with the batch of cars I sent to get detailed because I didn't want the young lot kid to have to figure out a 1969 car and I didn't want the liability of him driving my old "jalopy" to the shop on the highway and so on.

How bad is that - trying to spare a teenager from -having- to drive a stick 1969 Camaro!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
rjs53

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Spoiled, jaded, entitled.............. and self-centered. You wouldn't think they could stop to offer to push you off the road or direct traffic, or just see if you need anything would you?
Stop and see if you need anything! That would entail getting out of the car and having physical contact. A lot to ask these days. I think everyone needs to have a CDL and drive truck for at least 6 months, nothing teaches people more patience than driving 80k lbs down the road. Of course everyone wants to get in front of it just before stopping. Last week I was cruising home, had my cruise control on. Got in the left lane to pass slower traffic moved back over after, and the truck came up behind me went pass then stayed with front of their truck right at my door. Its like they forgot what they were doing. Anyway stayed there until we came up another vehicle which I then had to slow for then they decided to go so I jumped in behind them and that's when they started giving me the finger. Still not sure what I did, but pulled up next to them and returned the gesture.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
I usually hit the flashers as soon as it dies so people don't think I'm texting. Certainly had it happen a couple times with the cars I've hobbled together and grabby clutches with a lightweight flywheel.

The braking distance drives be crazy. 2 car spaces seems to be the norm, even at 80 mph. In my truck, I stick to the middle or right line at about 65mph. Seems like there is always someone so close behind me, I can't see their bumper.

I'll admit, had I been in the OP's situation (honda dude) I probably would have let out a honk as well.

I have an 8 mile drive to work that takes 25-30 minutes, so I'm in traffic with lots of lights, a crap ton of cars, and missing a certain light at a couple major intersections can easily add 3-4+ minutes to my already crappy drive. It's unreal how many people will hold up traffic texting at an intersection here. I've gotten tired of this **** and I give a 3 second pause before they get the horn.

Now if someone throws their flashers on, I've been known to get out and help. I've helped pushed a few cars to safety over the years.

My C10 hasn't had a working horn in the 23 years I've owned it... wiring is a disaster... but I have a new AAW harness... soon... lol

A working horn in NY was a requirement for inspections. It was the only thing on my truck that didn't work. The shop I went to was friends with my dad. Whenever he called out "horn" I'd yell "honk" and he would move on to the next thing The truck was only registered in NY for 2 years before I moved to SC, where apparently nobody gives a damn about a functioning, safe car
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #15
weq92f

I am tolerant of those with troubles on the road and am willing to stop and help when necessary and the conditions are safe enough to do so. Been doing this since I was a young man.

However when it's obvious that the person is causing delay for some reason other than mechanical difficulty or otherwise doing something stupid, my horn becomes active and remains active until the person stops the behaviour.

A recent example of this stupidity in Oklahoma during a recent hail storm, a few drivers decided to just stop under an overpass on I-44 to save their vehicles from damage...the result...massive Interstate backup in the middle of a thunderstorm...

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...torms/26933535

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #16
Tom
driving is in my blood

If the lights green and you aren't moving a horn is exactly what should happen. 99% of the time these days its because they are looking at a phone instead of the light. Sounds like your intolerant of progress
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #17
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I had one happen to me recently...while stopped at a red, I was 1st in line...light turned green..i didn't move...the guy in the foreign job behind me started laying on the horn,,,pissed me off...
he didn't know what id like to have done with his horn..
but
the reason I didn't move ? the loaded dump truck that was coming ,and I could tell by his speed wasn't gonna be able to stop at his red light...and he didnt
nothing ruins your day faster than getting t-boned by a loaded dump truck

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #18
Rooster73

yeah, you have a point, more often than not they could be looking at thier phone, but sometimes they are doing that at 80mph to. funny how progress has taken away the human factor.
Rooster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:03 AM   #19
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
The truck was only registered in NY for 2 years before I moved to SC, where apparently nobody gives a damn about a functioning, safe car
I am pretty sure that SC had inspections back in the day but they voted to get rid of them. Unfortunatly state inspections always seem to turn into a money making venture rather than making the road safer. I lived in SC for a few years around 20 years ago
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If the lights green and you aren't moving a horn is exactly what should happen. 99% of the time these days its because they are looking at a phone instead of the light. Sounds like your intolerant of progress
I purposely wait for people to start blowing the horn ...but then again I do have a bumper sticker that says honk if you think i am sexy. It still takes a while for them to blow the horn though
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
True. But I read the story to say the old truck was holding everybody up, got started, made the light before turning red, and that's when the irate imp in the newish car that got stuck behind hit the horn. Like they were scolding the person, as if it was something they chose to do. We don't all live in the same world.

Tim

Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #22
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I challenge you to find a person who knows how to feather a throttle, let alone know why.

I still drive with 2 feet. It's a carry over from the days of having to run both pedals at the same time to keep it running
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #23
pwdcougar

Years ago my car died at a toll booth. As I’m frantically trying to get it to start the guy behind me lays on his horn. Knowing it’s futile to keep trying I hop out and walk up to his car. I asked him if he wanted to trade places. I said you go up to my car and try to get it running and I’ll sit in yours and honk the horn. Let’s see if things go any faster! He said something about he didn’t realize the car had quit. Duh.

I put my car in neutral and started pushing it to the side of the highway across several lanes of traffic. At one point it seemed to be rolling easier and I looked back to see the toll booth collector pushing too! She had shut down the lane leaving the jerk looking at a closed gate!
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

He should have helped. He wasn't going anywhere till they got back.

Tim

Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #25
slomotion
Old Duffer

I drove truck for a lot of years and actually enjoyed it. Other drivers - cars and trucks - seemed to be much more courteous, patient, and aware of what was going on around them, but things have changed. All of these new "Safety Devices" built into the new cars are dumbing down drivers to where they're relying way to much on the vehicle to think for them. These things work great - until they don't, and at that point the car/truck is going to need a quick-thinking driver. Imagine that! A vehicle with an actual thinking driver!

I've seen the general mood of the highway change too and I blame the "me first" cynicism on our being bombarded by the "Us and Them" syndrome that seems to have recently seeped into every facet of our lives. I'm guilty of this as well and have to stop and think - is that old lady driving so slow to protect a cake she baked for her women's group meeting? Is the old man lost and looking for something familiar? The Millennial speeding, is his wife in the back seat in labor? What if their child's dog just got hit and they're rushing it to the vet.

I get impatient with people on the phone, lingering at a stop light, doing stupid things behind the wheel, but am consciously trying to not get so spun up and get my blood pressure up because of someone else's inattention. In the grand scheme of things is it worth the anger to save 15 seconds? 30 seconds?

I wish I could buy more patience. I need a lot of it these days, but I'm trying, I really am.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote