The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
mechanixman

Fender Install

Hey folks,
I've nearly at wits end here, I'm trying to get the sheetmetal back on, and I'm having trouble with the fenders lining up with the hood.
so far, I adjusted the hood with the fenders off. It's not perfect, but it sits low and is lined up pretty dang straight.

I mounted the fenders (muscled really nothing wanted to line up well) and found out the riverside fender is way out of whack. The hood sits over it, as you can see in the pictures.
So I enlarged all the holes so I could at least adjust everything a little bit, and I'm still getting the same problem. Even if I shifted the hood to fit the driver side fender, I'm afraid it still wouldn't fit the passenger side one. From what I've done so far, it seems like I will need an extra inch between the rad support and the driver side inner fender.
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, is there a secret to all of this?

thanks a bunch.
Attached Images

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Fender Install

Did you do a mockup before paint?...there are several how-tos on aligning up the front...Martin sr has one I think....
It looks like you need to shift the entire front to the driver side though..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
MARTINSR

Please tell me these panels were trial fit before painting, please.

Please tell me they aren't reproduction panels, please!

If they are reproduction AND they weren't trial fit, FORGET installing them without damaging the paint.

That out of the way, the rad support looks like it's over to the right so first off loosen everything up, the rad support to the frame, the support rods that are going from the firewall to the fenders, those are VERY important to move the front sheet metal side to side.

Did you put the hood on first aligned to the cowl and then put the fenders? That is one way to do it, fit the hood to the cowl then fit the fenders to the hood.

But moving the front end over would be a start there. These front ends are very difficult under the best of circumstances so don't feel it's you, they are difficult. But if these parts weren't trail fit ON THIS FRAME before, you could be in for some real trouble.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
MARTINSR

And take that grill bar off, limit what you are working with to the fenders, you have enough to work around. Remove that bar and even the latch panel in front of the radiator until you get things closer.

Brian

Old 04-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
mechanixman

thanks guys
these are not reports, although they didn't come off this truck. there was a fitment off before paint, but It was so many years ago, (it's been painted for nearly 2 years). Plus when I fit everything I was just out of high school, so I doubt I did a very good job fitting it all. I honestly can't remember. There are enough scratches...err...character flaws, that I already plan on getting it all touched up when all is said and done. So I don't mind modifying if I need to.
yes I know and regret building the truck in the order, but it is what it is at this point.

yes, I fit the hood to cowl, and am trying to fit the fenders to the hood.

the grill bar and top plate were on there to take a picture. So far I've been playing with the inner outer fenders, the rad support and sometimes the outer fender supports if I feel like I'm getting close to good fitment.

Martinsr, do you think the rad support is leaning too far to the driverside?

thanks again

Projects:
Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
jbarron

Here are the sheet metal instructions.
They focus on the hood and then just say fit fenders to hood.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...51ctsm1105.htm
jbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
thanks guys
these are not reports, although they didn't come off this truck. there was a fitment off before paint, but It was so many years ago, (it's been painted for nearly 2 years). Plus when I fit everything I was just out of high school, so I doubt I did a very good job fitting it all. I honestly can't remember. There are enough scratches...err...character flaws, that I already plan on getting it all touched up when all is said and done. So I don't mind modifying if I need to.
yes I know and regret building the truck in the order, but it is what it is at this point.

yes, I fit the hood to cowl, and am trying to fit the fenders to the hood.

the grill bar and top plate were on there to take a picture. So far I've been playing with the inner outer fenders, the rad support and sometimes the outer fender supports if I feel like I'm getting close to good fitment.

Martinsr, do you think the rad support is leaning too far to the driverside?

thanks again
I'm sorry, I can't tell that from these photos. Measure it and see. You can cross measure the front to see if it's over.

Brian

Old 04-26-2019, 02:40 AM   #8
MiraclePieCo

You may need shims between the core support and the fender to space the fender out a bit.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
mechanixman

Thumbs down Re: Fender Install

And it all magically fits.
I don't know what happened, maybe I didn't donate enough blood sweat and tears before,
but I got home after work, dug up the fender braces, and started loosely bolting everything together, and it all fit! I didn't use any shims, (i might need a few here and there yet) and I didn't have to destroy anything. the only small problem left is that the hood hinge bolts we're tightened ALL the way down, so the hood is off the belt anti rattle strip a little bit and about an inch crooked. But that is small beans compared to the rest of the sheet metal!

Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it.

Projects:
Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
MARTINSR

RIGHT ON! WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

Old 04-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
dsraven

ok, if those PAINTED fenders have been gathering dust for 2 YEARS then you better just bring that thing over here and I'll babysit it for another couple of years. break it in for you. haha.
nice to hear you're back on the horse. gonna be great to see it back in one piece. keep plugging along and soon you will be bolting a tag on the back and hanging your arm out the window, feeling the breeze picking at the hair on your arm while cruising.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote