The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

Question Vapor lock

I have a 70 3/4 ton GMC. I am having a problem with Vapor lock. I have replaced the filter and fuel pump. I finally figured out that the fuel line from the tank to the pump is getting hot. The exhust pipe runs right between the starter and the frame. And it all gets very hot there. I figured out this was the problem by running it till it was hot and was starting to vapor lock then spraying water on the frame. It started pumping fuel great again after it was cooled.

I have I believe a stock 350 in it. No headers etc.

I am considering rerouting the fuel line. But, I have never seen anyone else discuss this problem.

Have you had the same problem?

What did you do about it?

If you have not had the problem am I missing something?

It seems to me that if everyones truck is set up like mine they should all have the same problem.

Old 11-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

You could reroute the fuel line. Or you could construct some kind of heat shield using pipe clamps and sheet metal.

Also, maybe the fuel line got mesed with and is just a bit too close to the pipe and bending it away just a few inches might do the trick.

I'd have to go look at mine to remember how its routed.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:19 PM   #3
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

The fuel line runs inside the frame rail. It is fastened to it with clips. I am also thinking of usins a heat shield.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

your setup creates too much heat fabricate some kind of heat shield and make sure the line is kept as far away fromt he headers as possible

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

ttt
Old 11-28-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Get some aluminum foil and wrap it around the fuel line. Don't wrap it around tight. This should dissapate heat well enough to keep it from vapor locking.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

By chance, do you have a fuel filter between the pump and the tank?
This can make vapor lock issues worse, and the more crap in the filter the worse the vapor lock can get.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #8
Ackattack

Many of us have headers along with the same fuel line setup without issues. I'm going with filter is in the wrong place or clogged.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

That is what has me stumped. I figure that everyone should be having thhe same problem. I don't have headers and the only fuel filter is a see through one just before the carb. And I have replaced that filter a couple of times.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:27 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A common place for a filter to be installed (I thought they were stock there but I was mistaken) is directly under the cab where the fuel line comes through the floor. I would double check that location for a filter.
If there is a filter between the pump and the tank, then as that filter gets clogged up and imposes a restriction, the fuel pressure drops in that section of line. The drop in pressure will lower the boiling point. (anyone remember the old pressure cookers that worked off this principle...actually the oposite principle)

Another thing to look at is heat can be transfered pretty easily too. If you have a header pipe that is touching the frame, and the fule line is close by, the heat could be passed off to the fuel.

It is odd that you are having this problem at this time of year. It is commonplace in the heat of the summer...but pretty much unheard of in november.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote