The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
mr48chev

Period correct car seat for AD trucks

That YOUR WIFE WILL NOT LET YOU USE but some of the guys over 65 may have ridden in when young.

Things have come a long way since we rode around hanging in the middle of the front seat in one of these.

It was at the Packwood Wa flea market today where the whole town turns into a weekend long flea market.

About all I bought that was interesting was an airboard (air powered long board) and a guide light that is probably a tractor light.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:42 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Period correct car seat for AD trucks

Back when the kid would ride in the car with four adults, all smoking with the windows rolled up tight.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
NorCalGal

yep, then your mom would slam on the brakes throwing you into the metal dash while your sibling fell out the door while going around the corner.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
8man

I am the kid who fell out the door going around the corner. I rolled a ways and got up laughing. My grandmother was not amused!
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Yep, it was a little different alright! I rode MANY miles, hundreds of miles in the back of my dad's 55 F-100 going out to the valley to get hay, and stuff like that. We are talking without the fancy plywood camper you see in the photo. I remember going camping with my dad up into the mountains with a 68ish Station wagon (he was a car salesman and I rode in a different car about every day so I don't remember what kind it was) with the rear seat folded down and was acting like the car was an amusement park ride rolling around in the back bouncing off the sides like a ball as we drove through the mountain roads. LOL

Yep, it was a bit different!

That's my brother in the drivers seat and me out back in the photo.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
mr48chev

Don't forget your mom could slam on the brakes, hold the wheel with one hand and hold you in place with the other without a second thought.

Distracted driving meant a guy had his right arm around his girl who was cuddled up next to him on the bench seat and paying more attention to her than driving.

You usually didn't have to worry about drunks until the bars closed back then and now you worry about them 24/7

You learned to watch for old man_______ or old lady_______ putt putting down the road at a third of the posted speed limit on a clear straight road because that was as fast as they drove. You knew what local intersections that people ran the stop signs on a regular basis (the one 1.2 miles up the road from my house is one of the deadliest in the state in that respect.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
1project2many

I used to love riding in the back window of our car when I was small.

Yes, I too fell out the door of a moving car. Mom opened up her side to slam it shut so I tried the same thing. I was fine. lol

I used to love riding on the armrest in Grandpa's '69 Eldorado. I could see out the hood! And I could see the really cool "lights" at the end of the fenders that blinked when the turn signals blinked.

I spent years and years riding around on the doghouse in a number of vans and stepvans. Grandpa's '68 3/4 ton van was the most fun but long trips were horrible because that giant metal cover would get hot!!! And the seats were in front of the wheels so a big bump would make it feel like you were getting thrown out of the front. The old green stepvan was an adventure when it rained. Vacuum wipers on a six cylinder engine with no vacuum pump made for a fun time. Dad would turn on the driver's wiper and I got to operate the passenger wiper while sitting sideways on the doghouse.

Fun times
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
_Ogre

dang... we're showing our age guys

when my lil bro was born he had a car seat that hung over the back of the front seat
all it did was put him up high to go thru the windshield if we had a wreck (not that we ever did)
mom was fast with the hand and would brace anyone standing in the front seat if needed
mom did get t-boned by a semi, it launched my lil sister thru an open side window, bruised but unscathed laying in a ditch

survival of the fittest back then, the brain dead never lived past teen years

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #9
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
survival of the fittest back then, the brain dead never lived past teen years
So what you're saying is that nowadays, thanks to enforced safety regulations, the dumb ones aren't weeded out? Maybe that explains why stupidity is so prevalent in this day and age.