The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Willie G

Hydroboost Applications

Hello all, I have a hydro-boost from a 2005 Denali XL, and was wondering if it was ok to use this in my 71 C10? ihave looked and could not find anyone using such a later model Hydro-boost. I read where they are mostly the same except for the accumulators. The accumulator on mine is larger than others ive seen. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Willie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Hydroboost Applications

Sure if you can get it to bolted up and get a master mated. But that probably is a disc disc accumulator. Will it make a difference? Not sure. I am not a fan of mix and matching masters and boosters. Why go through the headache of figuring the proper rod when you can get the master you want with a booster. To me the master and the prop valve are the important considerations. You will get your boost, but master and prop have to deliver, and the rod to the master has to be correct. If your brakes don't perform or your pedal misbehaves, you will be wondering about pedal rod and master rod. Anyhow, I would try to get a master with a booster. Or find a combo of master and booster where someone knows the rod is the correct length.

The hydroboost upgrade is a pretty simple and fun project. When you are done... you'll have brakes!

j
Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
Hello all, I have a hydro-boost from a 2005 Denali XL, and was wondering if it was ok to use this in my 71 C10? ihave looked and could not find anyone using such a later model Hydro-boost. I read where they are mostly the same except for the accumulators. The accumulator on mine is larger than others ive seen. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
I used probably the same booster for mine. The master is an off the shelf from napa for a 72 K20. The master pushrod length was correct. The only thing I’ve got left to do to mine is mount the booster push rod to the brake pedal. I haven’t had much time to work on my truck lately. The other thing you’ll have to deal with is standard inverted flare power steering box fittings and metric Oring fittings in the booster. My build thread in my signature shows how I dealt with that.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Willie G

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Reason I'm going with the hydro-boost is because the entire setup i have is from a donor Denali that was running( i have everything from the Denali). I don't have the original braking system from the 71 72 C10. I am staying with the front disc/rear drums for now. Still trying to see if the Denali brakes can be fabricated to fit the c10. I can get it to mount up easily. I'm thinking adjustment wont be too difficult. Any other suggestions on the truck? Again thank you.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
Willie G

Thanks 57, I appreciate the help. your project is coming along nicely.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
jeffahart

You can make anything work. But since you are staying disc drum for now, it looks like you will need to ditch the Denali master for a dual reservoir anyway. Then you can just get a master with the residual pressure valve included for the rear drums. Plus, I still see the silver accumulator as a question mark. I would go with an accumulator charged for a disc drum setup. If you can verify the silver will work then go with it.

j
Old 07-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
howell57

What master-booster would bolt in to a 72 C10. Disk front-drum rear
TKX
howell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
Bigdav160

I used my OE power master cylinder. I just unbolted it from the vacuum booster and held it up with bungee cords.

I don't think there is any issues with the extra capacity of the accumulator. It's job is supply power assist in case the engine stalls. Disc-Disc would require more than Disc - drum. So likely you'd get an extra pump of the pedal in that emergency.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote