The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
mr48chev

Toppenish rat rod and custom show plus a couple from the swap meet.

I ran up to the Yakima swap meet this morning and pickings were pretty slim. One of the only AD parts I saw was a 52/54 passenger door for 30.00 that looked pretty useable but stripped of all the stuff. I did buy a pair of door hinges for 5 bucks and a flex fan for 5 bucks from a buddy of mine.

No photo of the door though. The real interesting parts were the 235 Corvette intake that a guy has been trying to sell locally for months and the setup with weber carbs for 230,250 292 That was pretty trick. He has had both on the Yakima craigslist.

Someone had an old Quickway boring bar with what looked to be all the hardware in the original box. I'm too old to invest in that thinking I'll get enough use out of it though.
Over in the show area was a pretty decent little driver quality AD

Hiding in the back corner of the swap meet was a "roadster" AD that some guy has been trying to sell for the last two or three years. He might should have taken that one to the rat rod show as he might have found a buyer there.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Toppenish rat rod and custom show plus a couple from the swap meet.

Oops didn't get the Gray AD posted last time plus How about a rusty drop tank or a proper beer keg for a gas tank.

That was it for the swapmeet, mostly OT rigs in the show and not too many exciting parts in the swap meet. I was planning on selling there today but my truck decided to act up so that was out. I'll have it all better sorted out next year anyhow and take a bigger load.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
mr48chev

The Toppenish Rat rod/custom car show takes place at Pioneer park in Toppenish just two miles up the road from my house. Right across the street from a great burger joint that used to be an A&W but now is called Dads and still sells plenty of rootbeer.

This is an open show that if you have the money for the entry fee you can show your car. Everything from pretty ragged rat rods to a fly yellow Ferrari today with plenty of nice lowriders and a few trucks and customs.

First up is the back end of a nice early 60's fleetside. Then the front and the engine. Nice truck with rather gaudy rims that seem to be popular around this area.

The little two tone brown/tan AD shows up at this show every year and always looks sharp.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
mr48chev

Front of the two tone brown tan truck Name:  IMG_3521.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  62.4 KB

Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
mr48chev

and then we get into the serious farm truck grill guard. I'd think it was built in a local welding shop when the truck was new.
The truck belongs to folks who have a farm out about ten miles west of me according to the sign on the door.

Down past the Mustangs, Chevelles, three shades of blue 67/69 Camaros and a few other ot rigs and this cute little pedal car with lots of work done on it was on full display in front of dad's lowrider impala.

Cool engine that was in a white 58 Impala. looks like a 348 Tri power.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
mr48chev

Nice patina TF that I have never seen before. This event is pretty well advertised and draws vehicles from quite a ways away at times.

Half the rat rods in the rat rod show You seldom see the same ones two years in a row as rat rods seem to be a been there done that thing for a lot of guys who really aren't car guys to begin with.

When you take your fly yellow Ferrari to the rat rod/low rider show and hope the Orca Betties don't get too close to it.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
mr48chev

OK not a Chebby but a 56 Dodge cab over that had a mid engine under the ramp bed. this was a beast of a truck.

Interesting sign they had per GMC Up at the stage. Live band rather than a DJ for at least part of the day. Head banger group though.

I figured that this little blue S-10 heard someone say that "Joedoe" said it would be a great frame donor and was trying to escape.

Serious looking TF 4x4 that may have been one of my favorites in the show. The truck just had the "lets go play in the dirt" look rather than looking like a street poser.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #8
mr48chev

AD that was with one of the lowrider clubs. As a rule I don't take photos of vehicles with kids in them or sitting in front of them but she looked pretty comfortable in front of the truck in what little shade it provided.

Looks like the judges found the brown and tan AD while I was on the way back to the car.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #9
mr48chev

Some details on a local chopped 51 Merc coupe that just came out of the upholstery shop that will probably do my 48. Lots of interesting things on that car along with great trim work.

That's it until I get the rest of the photos loaded on
smugmug for those who want to see them. Net is slow to night so that may take a while. A lot of what we call "donor" cars in that show though.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 AM   #10
MARTINSR

Some good stuff indeed!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 AM   #11
MiraclePieCo

Thanks for taking us along!

I seldom attend local car shows because they start and end too early. Hey, I got up to an alarm clock for 50 years - now I want to sleep in on weekends please!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Thanks for taking us along!

I seldom attend local car shows because they start and end too early. Hey, I got up to an alarm clock for 50 years - now I want to sleep in on weekends please!
It's so funny you should say that, I find myself on the weekends getting up at the very minute my alarm will go off on a weekday. It doesn't even need to be on, went to bed late last night, doesn't matter, I am up at 6:20 am, geeez. I got up then thought, I am going to give it a shot back in bed, slipped back in snuggled up with the wife, laid there with my eyes open for 45 seconds and thought, NOPE it ain't gunna happen, and got up.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
mr48chev

I took the door hinges out of my trunk this morning and they are both uppers left and right but in nice shape.

Not sure what I'll do with the 18 inch flex fan but I made Mike take 5 bucks for it when he said "just take it" The hitch extension is still in the back of the car. I had to lug that 40 pound piece of solid iron from the middle of the swap meet to the parking lot but at 10 bucks I couldn't tun it down.

The dog gets me up about 7 every day and somedays I stay up and some days I go back to bed. Usually between 7 and 9:30 is my quiet time with no tv and just the laptop and fresh coffee but I need to start getting up earlier and get out and get things done before the heat hits.