The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2003, 12:36 AM   #1
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Unhappy anyone ship a bed? (yikes)

Well...

I have some folks asking about the bed I have for sale, and I'm getting these questions about shipping it. I really don't want to ship it, but to get it sold...UGH, I'll do what I have to do? Any hints or suggestions for such a thing?

Thanks-

Jeff
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 12:55 AM   #2
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I once sent a shortbed to PA. It cost about $700 for freight through ABF Freight Lines. I had to deliver it to THEIR dock. Also had to build a heavy duty pallet. I built it with 4x4 stringers and 2x6 cross boards. I used long carraige bolts at the corners and deck screws on all of the other crossboards. I also ran 4 long carriage bolts through the original bed to frame mounting holes through the deck boards to hold it to the pallet. I would charge them a pallet charge for the materials and your time. I didn't put anything on the bedsides. It got there just fine with no complaints from the buyer. If I remember right, it was about $100.00 for the building materials and took about two hours to build with the help of a friend. Check around on freight prices, they vary from carrier to carrier. Ebay has a site for freight carriers I believe. You might get lucky and find a driver that is heading the same direction that the bed will be going. Don't underestimate how much of a hassle it can be. Removing the bed, building the pallet, arranging shipping and possibly delivering it to the carriers dock can eat up alot of your time. Check the bill of lading carefully, If at all possible, ship it so that the freight is collect and the buyer is responsible for the bed while it is in transit. That means if there is a problem such as damage, it is the responsibility of the receiver to make a claim if any. I used to ship alot of large items and learned the hard way.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:11 AM   #3
sactoC10
71 DELUX

WOW...

Lots of work, had no idea it could even get that high (over $500). Thanks for the input. It'd probably be easier for me to chop it up, sell the tubs and the side that is dent free, tossing the rest at the steel recycler.

Thanks
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 03:39 AM   #4
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I haven't shipped any beds before, but would it be cheaper to ship if the bed was disassembled so the load was consolidated?
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I have sold several beds that were shipped out of here. I "lift & load" them---HERE! The buyers found truckers or car haulers that were coming to this area...flatbeds work best.
In both cases it cost more to ship then I sold the beds for...so it better really be a nice bed to make it worth while to ship. No pallets or packing. Just set them on blocks or wheels & tires on the ends and strap them down. Works good---costs a bunch.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Terry Peerson

I recently bought a bed from PICKMUP. I just posted an ad on "YesterdaysTractors.com". Took about 1-day for a response. The guy offered to haul the bed from Olympia, WA to Bonner Springs, KS for $ 550.00. I counter-offered $ 500.00 and had the bed in about 7-days. He had a Ford 1-ton with a little flatbed trailer. Delivered it to my house. I think I might have the guy's e-mail address on my work computer. I can probably send it to you tomorrow, if you want it.

Let me know,

Terry
Terry Peerson is offline   Reply With Quote