The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
vintovka

SBC Power steering Squeal

My Ad 350 SBC is set up with standard PS as came with the 84 Sierra Classic PS pump and pulley. Its as tight as i can get it and is full of fluid yet squeals intermittently on turns and high revs. Belt is new and one of those with the cogs. Any advice?
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: SBC Power steering Squeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
My Ad 350 SBC is set up with standard PS as came with the 84 Sierra Classic PS pump and pulley. Its as tight as i can get it and is full of fluid yet squeals intermittently on turns and high revs. Belt is new and one of those with the cogs. Any advice?
Is the belt squealing or is it a mechanical or fluid squeal within the pump mechanism itself?

First thing I'd try would be a shot of belt dressing. It conditions v-belts for better grip. See if that makes the noise stop. I used to have a car I had to spray belt dressing on about once a month.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
vintovka

I will give it a shot - literally
Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
1project2many

The early '80s truck PS pumps could be a pain to tighten. Many of them are equipped with a double pulley to help ensure the pump doesn't slip. Tightening those required the PS be tightened first then the A/C compressor second. You're not supposed to tighten against the pump reservoir so I developed a method that slips a pry bar between the end of the pump adjusting bracket and the water pump. I never liked changing belts on those trucks...

You can double check belt tension by trying to twist the belt. If it easily twists 1/4 turn or more then you don't have it tight enough.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
mr48chev

That and you do have the correct power steering fluid and not ATF? Saginaw power steering pumps don't really like ATF even though a lot of guys claim that is what to use.

When I was doing front end work in a dealership I fixed noisy pumps more than once by flushing the system and putting back genuine GM power steering fluid.

The cogs on the belt don't grip better they just help the belt run a bit cooler. At least that was the explanation I got 40 something years ago from a rep

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
vintovka

Using correct PS fluid. Will take a another look at belt today. Some have suggested pulley is dirty. Last time i looked it did have a line of crud stuck to the near the top edge of the pulley "valley". The squeal is not bad but kinda embarrassing for a brand new engine. What really embarrassing is paying someone to tighten it cause youre now old and a weaka-s.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
dsraven

Take a look at the pulleys as well. If they are glazed up break the shine off and try again. Same for the belt, if its shiny maybe start over.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
dsraven

Also check k the pulley surface to see if it is flat or has some small wear grooves on the gripping surface.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
vintovka

Well another strange but not unexpected turn of events. It wasn't the PS at all. I looked closely at the alternator and was shocked to see one bolt so loose only the valve cover kept it from falling out. Apparently on turns it caused the Alternator to tork slightly causing belt to slip and squeal. been driving around like that since it left the shop. Luckily the shop left the exact size open end wrench stuck between the motor mount and engine. Grabbed it, fixed it and squeal is gone. The pain of knowing i paid a professional mechanic/restorer/pot head remains. Wait til your pot head surgeon leaves his tools in you or your kid.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #10
MiraclePieCo

Squeal fixed, and you got a free wrench
Old 08-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #11
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Squeal fixed, and you got a free wrench
Yup a snap on too! Only problem is it probably cost me several hundred. It is a just another in a series of FUPs that cost me thousands. I have decided if i find any more problems our attorney will get a call despite the small town politics. My advice to others dependent on repair shops is to consult an attorney first, get a written contract. and pay with strong Credit Card like Amex. They have been utterly vicious with dirtbags in the past and even got $ out . I have photo documented everything and kept all receipts and have the time and means.