The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
68c10owner

new "truck" with questions

i just bought what is suppost to be a 70 swb truck. i was just going to buy the frame but i ended up buying all the guy had. here is what i got,

swb frame with complete front suspension although the x-member is off the truck. i did`nt want the rear,6 lug and locked up.

a A/C cab that is totally stripped,no glass,dash parts, A/C parts, nothing but it`s in better shape than my 68 cab and the doors are in very good shape.

and finally, a short fleet bed w/ metal floor that needs both rear sections of the quarters replaced due to some " custom body work" applied with bondo. they tried to smooth the taillights and rear markers. other than that it`s ok.

i got all of this for $200 bucks. now for my question. the guy doesn`t have a title for the truck and he claims it`s off the system. how can i get a title for this in california?

i was just going to swap cabs with my 68 but i started thinking, i could just build the 70 up and drive my 68 till it`s done and then sell my 68. if i can`t title the 70 cab then i`ll have to swap vin tags but it would be nice to have another truck. i`m sorry this is so long and i would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.

thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
Baradium
Binder Rep

while you are still somewhat in contact with the guy, check the vin and make sure that it's clean... it's a good thing to know. Don't want to try to get a title just to find out it was stolen. And personally I wouldn't want to do anything with it at all knowing it was stolen from someone else.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
kdubaz

I know here in AZ if the truck isn't titled or registered for 5 years it disappears off the system. Its not a big deal to get re-registered. You just take it to the MVD and have them check it out, then you're good. Happened with a buddy of mine with his '50's T-bird.

Man I need to find a $200 deal like that!
kdubaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
john
member #16

After 3 or 4 years they are removed from the DMV computers, if they have not been registered. All I needed was a bill of sale to register the last one I bought with no title. All they checked was the VIN on the cab.

Last edited by john; 12-01-2003 at 07:52 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:21 PM   #5
Hooter
My other Love

if you dont have papers for it, but you have papers for another truck, what are the chances they will check anyways
?

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
Martin64

In '96 I sold a motorcycle to a friend who never registered it and lost the pink slip. I bought it back in '00 and it was off the DMV computers. To get it registered I had to make an appointment with CHP to have them check it out (took about 15 minutes to check out but the wait was about 2 weeks for the appointment). They gave me the paperwork to take back to DMV and got it registered.

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:08 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you could always buy a vin plate and title from someone and swap in that set of tags

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:15 AM   #8
68c10owner

i asked the guy today if he had the title and he said no. he also said he knows the guy he got it from and that it`s out of the system. i`ve never tried to register something like this without a title so i did`nt know how hard it would be. it`s going to be a while before it`s on the road but i was pretty sure the dmv would send me to the chp or something like that to verifiy the vin numbers. i`m picking everything up and sunday so i`ll check next monday with the dmv.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
bpmcgee

I think it basically works like this:

They'll verify that the VIN on the cab plate matches the VIN on the frame.

If those match, and the vehicle hasn't been reported stolen, then they assume it's dropped out of the system and let you re-register.

Note that the first step would preclude you from swapping frame/cab.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:19 AM   #10
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Don't put too much work into it until you get it registered, I'd hate to see you loose out.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #11
68c10owner

i will definately check with the dmv before doing any work to the cab. i don`t think they will let me register it without taking it down there and that will be a bit of a problem since i don`t have a trailer.