The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
67C10Step

New Member and New Project Truck

Hello everyone. New member here and posted up in the Welcome section just yesterday. Thought I'd jump in with a few photos of my project truck.

As I posted in my other thread I had a line on this truck for about two years but just wouldn't make the leap due to considering family expenses first. Well, last May was my 25th wedding anniversary and my wife made a deal on the truck (buddy of mine) and had it delivered as my anniversary present.

It's a rather low optioned 1967 but the real appeal was it had not been hacked on by PO's through its life. Does have an early 90's seat in it, but that may or may not change. Still has the original 283, three on the tree, and even has the original oil bath breather that is listed on the SPID. The only thing missing under the hood was the washer bottle but the glass bottle and bracket were still there.

Truck was originally a fleetside but my buddy was going to make a stepside out of it. He decided he had too many project trucks and offered me this one because I had a 1970 stepside as a teenager and have wanted another one.

In the bed of the truck is a TH400 transmission, shift linkage, power steering box, pump, brackets, and lines from a 1973 truck, as well as spindles and all the steering linkage from the 1973 as well. Brake booster and master cylinder too, but the only usable parts are the brackets. Also another set of great condition rear fenders, although they are 68-72. 67 stepside fenders are like looking for unicorns.

Current plan is to get it running (have got that complete for the most part) and am now just starting to go through the brake system to get it functional. Not too worried about road worthy yet, just so it will move and stop. Will probably then jump into converting it to power steering, power brakes, and front disc. Drive it crusty for a while before the "real" project starts.
Attached Images

67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
hooverfish

Re: New Member and New Project Truck

Welcome !
Truck looks solid and you cant beat a 67 short bed.
Sounds like you have an amazing wife too.

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
Motorfist

Congratulations on the 25th Anniversary and the awesome truck! That will be a fun project.
72 K10 LWB Rust Bucket Hunting Truck
Motorfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
67C10Step

hooverfish and motorfist,
Thanks man. My wife is truly a keeper, if for no other reason than she's put up with me so long.

I wish the truck cab was as solid as it appears in the photo. Driver's side cab corner is shot, inner rockers on both sides are shot, a bit of floor on both sides as well. In the cleaning up the main issue I have found is rot in the kick panels all the way up and into the vent holes. That has me concerned about significant cowl issues when I get into it deep.

I am working on getting the rear fenders and steps cleaned up to put back on the bed for now. Someone did a very poor job of replacing the wood without strips so they drilled a bunch of holes in the cross braces for carriage bolts. Hoping the cross braces can be salvaged but only a tear out will show what I have to work with there. I'll probably sell off the fenders that are on the bed right now. The drivers side has a bit of damage but not much, the passenger's side is red and has a small amount of rust on the bottom front. Both repairable but since I have a much better set I'll use them. Passenger side door is rotted out on the bottom so it will be a repair or replace. All that is down the road a piece though. This will be a longer term project for certain.

Thus far I have replaced the ignition switch (hot wired when I got it), done a complete ignition tune up, flushed radiator, replaced hoses, and put in new temperature and fuel sending units. Changed the oil/filter after verified it would run. All gauges work now and from cold you can pull out the choke just a bit and she will fire right up. New valve cover gaskets have stopped 90+% if not all the oil leaks as well.

Been fun thus far but the summer heat has slowed progress a good bit. I have a new master cylinder but want to get all the wheel cylinder bleeders freed up so I can blow out what I know will be crud in the lines. Truck won't be on the road until all lines are replaced, just want enough brake to stop it when I pull it in and out of the shop.

Last edited by 67C10Step; 08-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
cgster

Looks like a good start for a project truck. I've always liked the big back window 67s.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

Hello Beebe.
Congratulations on the wife and the truck.
If you don't already know there are numerous forums here from general discussions to year specific to parts classifieds and a vendors marketplace forum as well. Numerous vendors support our boards.
And this being the most popular truck board on the planet there is tons of info and many members more than willing to help with most any questions you may have. We look forward to your progress.
Oh and you will notice these forums are pic heavy. We all like plenty of pics.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
67C10Step

Boog,
Hello neighbor. Good to see another stepper and close to me as well.

I did my first disc brake conversion back around 1990 by taking the front end out of a 1971 truck. Back then there wasn’t near the stuff you can get now. Of course I was a broke college kid back then too!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
Barnfind46

Nice stepper! As Boog said you will get lots of help here. Use the search tab and there is a wealth of info. Can't find it, just ask! My wife is great support also and loves old trucks.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
6T7 C10

Welcome from another 67 Stepper.
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote