The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
weedoublewide

Some wiring issue

So I'm waiting for my fuel system stuff to arrive in the mail so I decide it's time to check out the ecm wiring via the HP tuners.

I get my coffee out, I get my laptop out, I hook up to the ole ODB2 port, I open up that VCM suite and I click the ole read button. BAM protocol error. I look around and I find I forgot to plug in my power supply, connect some negatives to my grounding block and stuff. Once I fix that I take a swig of my coffee, and click read. BAM protocol error...…… I say to myself "The French toast double."

I do a walk around with my coffee and realize I forgot a red wire, so I connect that red wire up (This is the 12R wire that feeds the fuse block from the engine bay side). Go click read, Still nothing.

After some troubleshooting, I find that when I turn the switch from OFF to ON, my voltage goes from 12V to 0.0-0.3...as if its bouncing around because it doesn't have enough juice to power everything.

Few hours later, I have the left side of the factory fuse block pulled and a voltmeter hooked up between 12R pin and the pin where the old resistance wire use to be for the factory starter. And its doing the same thing, 12 volts on off, but bounces around when in ON.

So my question to the more experienced individuals is the following.

1. Could it just be a power supply issue and I need a battery that can handle the whole load. My AC/DC convertor is rated at 3A, I'd figure that'd be enough.

2. Could the ignition switch be bad, or do I need to pull a wire from it since its a more fancier starter.

Thank you for your help,

Double.
weedoublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: Some wiring issue

Do you have a battery in it at all, or just the charger? If just a charger, then I would put a battery in it. I had a PCM get bricked once because the voltage dropped too low, so definitely have a good battery before making any changes to the tune.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Do you have a battery in it at all, or just the charger? If just a charger, then I would put a battery in it. I had a PCM get bricked once because the voltage dropped too low, so definitely have a good battery before making any changes to the tune.

No changes being made lol, just trying to verify the wiring and I can at least go online with the computer.
But with that being said, I will install a battery tomorrow and try again.

Thank you sir!

double
Old 08-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
weedoublewide

So I hook up the battery to the wiring and all of a sudden I hear a loud squealing sound. I'm like the fluff is going on, I do some looking around and dont see anything or any smoke so I hook the wires back up...BAM squealing again. I stop and look once more, still nothing.

I think to myself the motor cant be turning because I dont have the starter hooked but..but what if...…….. noooo im not crazy.

So I hook it up once more and I notice that my flipping wipers are on. AHAHAH, so I turn them off and go well **** maybe that's why my power supply wasn't working.

Turned it off and I could go online with the ECM with the battery and with the power supply as well.

REMEMBER KIDS...make sure all the switches are off when playing with wires lol

double