The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
tley

New GPS tracker recommendation

After having a beloved pickup stolen a few years ago I have become a huge fan of GPS trackers (and agreed value insurance). The majority of the "monthly fee free" trackers (tk103 variants and others) all required 2G cell phone service. This was not an issue until AT&T dropped 2G service, leaving T-Mobile as the only carrier with service and no promises when they would drop 2G service. Recently I lost 2G service in my area and left me searching for a replacement. Lots of searching because most trackers that work on the 3G networks all require some sort of subscription for the tracking service. I finally found one that works and works great. It is only $40 for the unit. I wanted to pass it on to others that are considering a hardwired GPS tracker to put in their trucks. https://www.amazon.com/SinoTrack-Veh.../dp/B07Q6JFQWK
It is really basic (if you don't use a real time tracking service) you can either call the tracking unit or text it and it replies with a text message with a link to google maps with its location. There are many other functions that can be operated through it (SOS, audio monitoring, vehicle shut off, and some others). I've only had a week, so I can't attest to long term reliability of it yet, but so far it is working great and flawlessly.
tley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
cornerstone

Re: New GPS tracker recommendation

Interesting... where did you buy a SIM card for it? Is there a monthly fee?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
tley

I'm currently using an AT&T card that was on my account and wasn't being used. In the past I have used h2o wireless which operate off the AT&T network, so they should work with this tracker. There cell service is very cheap, prepaid plans for $10 for 90 days. You can get the sim card from Amazon. I hope I answered your question.
tley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
cornerstone

You certainly did, thank you.
Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote